Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Playbook hands on in London

kdittyr wrote: 

I would also like to see a compass included...  while many might find that trivial it can also come in handy.

Possibly we'll learn more about that in the WebWorks webcast (2 of 4) today.  I see on slide 25 of 54 in the PDF that they mention under "Orientation":

Up/Down/Left/Right, North/South

I can't think how you'd discover North/South other than with a compass.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Unless the PlayBook uses the camera to determine the North direction by looking at the moss on surrounding trees?

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer

Hah!  Kudos for that one.  (Maybe it can use the front-facing camera too, and check the shadow on your face.)

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Now that would make an interesting (and, I admit, slightly more realistic) algorithm.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

I call shotgun on any sundial apps based off that algorithm.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer

peter9477 wrote:

[re compass support]  Possibly we'll learn more about that in the WebWorks webcast (2 of 4) today.  

The sly devils just totally ignored that half of the page.  I think I could see Prosanta waving his hands at Adam and mouthing "That's not announced!  Skip over that bullet!".

I submitted a question about it but somehow I doubt it will be addressed further for now. Smiley Sad

Developer

[ Edited ]

I can't believe that either everyone else who's watching this stuff as closely as I try to hasn't posted about it, or that nobody else who would post even saw this yet... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVklQv-SnWo&NR=1&feature=fvwp

(Jump to time 9:00.)

From CES 2011, featuring Jeff Gadway of RIM (whose title is apparently "Marketing Manager, Sprint") at the BlackBerry booth showing off the PlayBook.  He used the term "high-end device" and was queried about what that meant in relation to, "like, a ton of sensors".  

His response was that it will have "accelerometer, 6-axis gyro, magnetometer, GPS, um... I think those 

are the key ones".  (Direct quote.)
Okay, still not an official announcement or in a spec, but I'm going to go back to my GPS-and-compass-dependent app ideas and dust them off. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Haven't watched the Youtube post, but don't make assumptions about GPS and other features. From the London meeting last week Blackberry stated that they were working with Sprint to release a 4G version of the Playbook later in the year, and this may indeed be a high end device with all sort of features and facilities.

Currently what I see the Playbook being on its initial release will be a general device, where they have got about 80% of the stuff right and it will be a later release that will tidy this up and extend its features. I have no knowledge if GPS will or won't be in, but maybe there are 2 ways of looking at it. Firstly as Blackberry have not made a straight anouncment about GPS then its not in. Or as more likely GPS is a requirement along with lots of other features, and they are working on it, but are not sure when it will be ready, so no anouncemnet until they are sure, but we know it will be coming say for example in the next 6 months. Hence it may turn up first in the Sprint version and then later in more general versions.

Developer
My Device: Playbook

@peter9477 - great find, I am caching the video to watch in a few minutes.

My thought on the device and all of the the possible sensors ( of course I am both speculating and could be looking at it totally wrong ) is that the primary aim for the device, seemingly, is enterprise.  They are certainly targeting the regular consumer, as well, though.  I imagine that the enterprise uses of this device are most certainly "in the field" where the use of sensors can be required or relied upon.

Possible use case:

- Think of a road work team that is assessing road damage ( like potholes and such ) in need of repair.  It is possible to gather and tag useful data such as compass for road direction, use the camera to record images of the damage to help in planning the fix and a simple GPS coordinate tag to help re-locate the damage.  A team could drive around a given area to plan out the fixes that will be carried out in the near future in that area.

Another possible use case:

- Scene of a car accident.  Insurance agent deployed to the scene to gather data on the accident to help speed up a claim.  Pretty similar to the above use case where the GPS coordinates of accident as well as possibly tagging tire marks and other helpful data points.  I realize the GPS isn't always amazingly accurate, but it can be backed up with images to help map out the scene and then a whole report could be filed while on scene.  Video could be used to record eye witness accounts of the accident.

All of the above is certainly possible with multiple devices, but having a device, loaded with an enterprise application to centrally locate and manage multiple sensors in a way that could help speed up business is win/win as far as I am concerned.  Plus, couple that with a 3g, 4g or some other cellular connection and it is possible to transmit the data back to "home base" while you continue to work in the field.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

Great find, Peter... I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope the free playbooks come loaded with the sensors..that will enable developers to take advantage and publish some cool apps. Without these sensors the device will be similar to a kindle or a nook with only a few extra features.