Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Playbook (the real one) - it's a beautiful thing

KenSalmon wrote:
When in portrait mode, the "minimize" bezel swipe followed the orientation of the Playbook. So yes, you do swipe up from whichever side is "bottom" at the time. I know that some here have been wondering about that.

We'd actually concluded that, and seen videos confirming it, though I'm glad you saw the same.

The thing that nobody has confirmed yet is actually not the bottom or side-swipes, but the top-swipe. 

While I doubt Tetris even uses the top-swipe (context menu) gesture, I really wish somebody had thought to try the top-swipe in a locked-in-portrait app while the unit was held in the default landscape mode.  It's entirely questionable what should happen, and neither of the obvious approaches appear to be without serious usability warts.  One of them (that it brings a context menu down from the top, where you swiped), appears to be infeasible actually.  The other one would (context menu appears from the top of the app, even though that's not where you swiped) would likely be bizarre, though so far nobody's thought of any other approach that could even be done.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

macwarrior wrote:

Also, @ that crackberry post -- what's the reasoning, do you think, for them to install a "lite" version of Need for Speed and then download the full version when Wifi is available?

Think about how many people who buy this will actually not be interested in using the full thing, and having it take up maybe 1GB of their limited storage space (especially on a 16GB unit).

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

[ Edited ]

peter9477 wrote:

macwarrior wrote:

Also, @ that crackberry post -- what's the reasoning, do you think, for them to install a "lite" version of Need for Speed and then download the full version when Wifi is available?

Think about how many people who buy this will actually not be interested in using the full thing, and having it take up maybe 1GB of their limited storage space (especially on a 16GB unit).

Actually in an interview they said the games are going to be in seperate onboard memory and NOT part of the actual advertised avalible space. I had to go back several times to make sure I heard it right also the engadget guy getting the interview asked several times and the guys clearly stated that it was stored in onboard memory and NOT part of the 16, 32, or 64GB of storage. 

Still I think on my 16GB one I would rather have an extra 1GB than a game I will probably only play once.

Developer
My Device: Tour
My Carrier: Bell

You are probably correct that the space occupied by the full blown game may be a consideration for pre-loading a "lite" version. This version of the Playbook has no expansion capacity, ie. there is no SD slot. The memory on the machine you buy (oops, I mean get free for your development efforts) is going to be a constraint.

I noticed that the Need for Speed game did take a bit of time to load up and become operational. There's a very spiffy looking splash screen that reads "Optimized for Blackberry PlayBook" and then some additional load time...it is probably the full game edition that was running on the one I saw today.

An additional thought about Need for Speed: this is where the HDMI capability of the PlayBook really shines. I mentioned earlier that the rep was holding the device rather like a steering wheel. When you are playing in standalone mode, that means your entire view of the game is going to be twisting and turning, along with the vehicle you are controlling. But if you connect to a big screen monitor, you don't look at the PlayBook itself. You use it as a controller, with a rock-steady image on the monitor. Kind of like a PS3 game Smiley Happy

Developer

It was only a couple of hours ago, and I want a do-over already (sigh). So many things to try, so much excitement, so little time...I didn't even think to try the top-down swipe.

Maybe next time...but then that will be the same time for everyone else.

Developer
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

Lucky dude Smiley Happy

How light did it feel in the hands... One thing i hate about the XOOM and IPAD is it feels a bit heavy. This being a 7in device should feel light and very portable... 

Also does it heatup much... do u feel anything?

Developer

The PlayBook feels very light. It's not a burden to hold at all, even in one hand. We talked about book reader software, where you could hold the device in one hand, and swipe with the other to turn pages. There was an icon for a book reader app on the PlayBook I had, but when I opened it there hadn't been any books downloaded, so I didn't get to try that experience.

As for heat, I didn't notice any at all.

The question came up about battery life, but the conversation was drifted in a different direction before that got answered, and we never got back to it.

Highlighted
Developer

thesmileman wrote:
Actually in an interview they said the games are going to be in seperate onboard memory and NOT part of the actual advertised avalible space. I had to go back several times to make sure I heard it right also the engadget guy getting the interview asked several times and the guys clearly stated that it was stored in onboard memory and NOT part of the 16, 32, or 64GB of storage.

@thesmileman, I know you're just reporting what someone else said, but I'm calling BS on the claim those guys made.  It doesn't hold up... there's been no talk of any kind of extra storage space.

What I'm sure is the case, however, is that it will be removable, so we can reclaim the space one way or the other.