Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Yoigo

Please update AIR to 3.9 in the PlayBook!

I know that plans for BB10 in the PlayBook were scrapped, but I think Blackberry should at least release a minor update to the Tablet OS (maybe OS 2.2) so the AIR runtime is updated to the latest version (3.9). The current version (3.1) is too old and doesn't even support Stage3D/Starling, as you know.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Please update AIR to 3.9 in the PlayBook!

It will never happen. It is in doubt that AIR 3.9 will ever reach BB10. It is not a minor update to do this. AIR runtime on BB is controlled by BB, not Adobe. They get some limited support from Adobe, but Adobe does not see BB as a viable platform at this time, so anything we get are from BB. With the cutbacks at BB, resources are fewer and AIR 3.5 might just be it. I would not be surprised if AIR gets transitioned off at some point if BB survives. It is just not core to much of anything BB does now a day. We have a handful of people who support it inside BB, but if they move on, so will AIR.
New Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: wifi

I understand what you are saying, however, I truly hope that is not the case.  As Adobe has been steadily improving the performance of the AIR runtime to take full advantage of stage3d.  And since frameworks like starling and feathers are beginning to leverage those enhancements it is beginning to make BB10 feel a bit dated....again.

If AIR dies on BB10's vine, it won't be because it wasn't performant enough.  It will be because AIR developers turned to the other two platforms where the could continue to create on.

Just my two cents...

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

bigmokujin wrote:

If AIR dies on BB10's vine, it won't be because it wasn't performant enough.  It will be because AIR developers turned to the other two platforms where the could continue to create on.

Just my two cents...

Yep, at some point it becomes a vicious cycle and eventually implodes on itself.  Would be a shame, and perhaps more harmful to BB10 than BB may realize - if devs are too apprehensive about BB10 to code native, the viability or non-viability of a particular cross platform framework of choice could make the difference between them choosing to port their iOS & Android cross platform framework based apps to BB10, or not.

Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

- been a Flash Dev for many years

- on BB10 I'm now developing natively, because the performance of flash is just not on par

- on TabletOS I gave up completely. No BB10 -> no apps from my side (and there are MANY other reasons as well)

- on other platforms I'm now also developing natively

I'm just still going through this forum from time to time because I still have to take care of some old projects which have been written in AIR

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Developer

pyth wrote:

Just curious, are you doing native rewrites of the same apps on multiple platforms?

That would seem like a recipe for wrecking one's physical and mental health. 

Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

[ Edited ]

UberschallSamsara wrote:

pyth wrote:

Just curious, are you doing native rewrites of the same apps on multiple platforms?

That would seem like a recipe for wrecking one's physical and mental health. 

Yes, I'm rewriting the flash code to native code. I managed to write it once, so I should be able to write it twice, right Smiley Very Happy?

In fact, when Stage3D was made available, I rewrote my flash code with Starling (so it's not twice, but thrice ^^). But the performance on iOS was still **bleep**, so I gave that up and now it's ObjC all the way

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Developer

pyth wrote:

Yes, I'm rewriting the flash code to native code. I managed to write it once, so I should be able to write it twice, right Smiley Very Happy?

In fact, when Stage3D was made available, I rewrote my flash code with Starling (so it's not twice, but thrice ^^). But the performance on iOS was still **bleep**, so I gave that up and now it's ObjC all the way

You using any frameworks that have multiple language ports, like e.g. PureMVC?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

For AIR to be any real good on BB, it needs to have 100% support of stage3D, starling and features. I just found out that for text input to work properly, it requires AIR 3.6. Since that will probably not happen (at all or any time soon), that pretty much kills high performance apps (vs. games) on BB.

Always a catch 22. Sales are way down for BB apps. Less sales, less revenue to BB. Less revenue, more cut backs and narrower focus. Narrower focus requires jettison of baggage. The first will probably be AIR. Supporting Android seems to be a higher priority.

It would be interesting to see the performance of AIR 3.9 in an Android app, ported over to BB.
New Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: wifi

Was that discovery made via an actual test you just did? On the starling forums it would appear someone was able to port their starling fame to the BB10 platform and still receive 60FPS. However, that isn't using the feathers framework. 

Also, what seems to be the issue with the text input?