Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Bold 9900, PlayBook 64GB, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Bell Mobility
Accepted Solution

Predictive Keyboard (auto-correct/suggestions) in AIR apps?

The 2.0 OS update added a new Predictive Text keyboard add-on (auto-correct/suggestions).

From a quick review of the various AIR apps on my PlayBook I see that it does not work in them (Conqu, Files and Folders, Poynt, etc). Is there a way to enable this feature in an AIR app for PlayBook?

Thanks for your help!

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Predictive Keyboard (auto-correct/suggestions) in AIR apps?

[ Edited ]

The "way to enable it" is to contact each developer of the respective apps and ask them to add the capability to their apps. (Each app has a Support email address listed in its App World entry, for things like this.)

It is not automatically available, but requires changes to the code to take advantage of a new set of components which support the predictive text, spelling, and so on.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Thanks Peter - so did 2.0 introduce new text input components and those are what we need to switch to in our apps? (I'm trying to figure out why my AIR apps didn't automatically support it)
Developer

I'm not 100% certain that the predictive text keyboard is directly coupled to these new components, but spell-checking, at least is, and I assume the PT keyboard comes along for the ride: https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/air/apis/qnx/fuse/ui/text/TextInputBase.html  (look at the properties/methods on that class, and its subclasses).

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Thanks Peter!
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Does that mean you can't get a predictive keyboard in conjunction with a flash.text.TextField ?

And did you figure out how exactly you get it on a fuse text component? Looking at the TextInputBase I can't see anything that would set it ...

Thanks

Anna

Developer

Anna, I believe that's correct, you can't get it on the older components.

As for how you get it on the new ones, I believe it just shows up automatically. I asked in the IRC channel #playbook-dev on Freenode and those who should know better than I confirmed this.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Ah, thanks, Peter. 

(I wrote my own multi-line input and being close to release now (and close to the Free Playbook offer deadline :-)) I didn't want to swap it out for the new textarea - but the predictive keyboard really would be good to have. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet ...)