Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800, Playbook Simulator
My Carrier: TELUS

Re: Problem causing app failure == Class flash.filesystem::File could not be found

FOUND A different  ISSUE -  TLFTextfield

I had already removed most of the TLF textfields I started with but I had one hiding under a layer in my .fla.  Once I removed it my app started loading in the simulator.  I'm pretty sure it was the way the TLF textfield (textlayout.swc) Library was linked (via RSL -default).  I'm not sure whether or not changing it to 'External' or 'Merged into code' would help, I didn't bother trying.

Although the TLF Textfield was fun to work with, I won't miss it. After reading Grant Skinner's take on TLFText it's better to leave it for Desktop Applications due to excessive processor usage, and from personal experience, made my application run slower.   Here's the article I'm referrining to:

http://gskinner.com/blog/archives/2010/07/some_thoughts_o.html

I will update once I get my app running properly and test it with the File class

squivo
Contributor

Re: Problem causing app failure == Class flash.filesystem::File could not be found

Yup.    That did it.  TextLayout.swc will mess with me NO MORE!!!!!  (at least for this project)

I'm so happy to be back to regular troubleshooting!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your help and guidance.

squivo
Contributor

One more question regarding the File class ( and permissions ).   Do apps need to be signed before they have full permissions on the applicationStorageDirectory?

squivo
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I have had apps that were not signed have no problem in accessing its own app-storage directory.

Contributor

Thanks jtegen

squivo
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

glad you found the solution.  and might i concur that from confusing documentation to decreased performance, TLF is a nasty bitch.  it's fine for visual layout and setup int he IDE, but coding TLF is a little insane.

i'm starting to think there are some serious issues with Flash CS5 text rendering and compiling for the simulator.  my own project is now exhibiting very strange behavior with text rendering, although they are Classic DF3 outlines rather than TLF.  perhaps it's what's taking so long for RIM/Adobe to release the PlayBook extension for Flash CS5.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch