Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

Re: Problem installing Black Berry SDK on Mac OS X

OMG It does work! Thanks! You are the man!!!!!
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

This is definitely a problem with the packager process. Whomever created this didn't have an executable SDK that got packaged.
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I didn't encounter this problem while installing the SDK and simulator. I think I downloaded them a couple of days before they were repackaged into a single file.

As others have said, the problem comes down to unix permissions. A file has to have execute permissions in order to run... it doesn't matter if you're root.

To avoid these type of problems in the future, you can type "chmod -R a+x {package}" in the terminal to add execute permissions to all users (owner, group, and everyone else) and every file within {package}.

To take a look at the chmod documentation, type "man chmod" in the terminal (use q to quit). Wikipedia has an overview of the command at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod

Also take a look at chown for changing the file owner, if you're interested.

Daniel

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Sprint

Thanks for this. I'm re-installing my dev environment onto a new PB and this was a real puzzler!

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook w/ OS 2.1, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: None

I just ran into the same problem, after downloading BlackBerryTabletSDK_Air_Installer_1.0.2_Mac_201105191426.zip

Setting the +x flag does indeed fix it, I just wanted to add an observation:

- when unzipping the *1.0.2*.zip file from the command line, the +x flags are not set, while

- when unzipping the zip through a double-click in the Finder, the +x is set properly and the installer launches

--
May the Source be with You
Follow me on Twitter: @r0b0tmartin