Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Problems with qnx lists

I've been trying for hours to make ordinary short qnx lists scroll properly. You have to work really hard to get any movement at all and swiping the list has no effect whatsoeverl. If it's just me, I'll continue to try to make my lists useable. 

Also it appears that both scrolling animation methods ( scrollIndexVisible and scrollToIndex) are broken and have no effect on the list.  Again, is just me or has anyone else noticed this?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Problems with qnx lists

I have never gotton those 2 methods to work or work correctly. I had to create my own container to get the QNX list to work as expected. You're not going crazy yet.
Developer

Thanks John.

Were you having scrolling issues as well with the stock list container? I believe that the list class uses the ScrollPane as its container. I am also having scrolling problems using a single QNX Label inside a ScrollPane. Sluggish and unresponsive to gestures.

When ypu say you created your own container, are you saying that you replaced the standart ScrollPane? Did your roll-your-own container help with the scrolling issues too?

I trying to decide if its worth building my mown component. Do you know if there is a bug report related to these broken components?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I used the QNX list at a continuous height (cell ht * number of rows) inside a ScrollPane. This was during beta, so I probably did not submit a bug report since I assumed it would be fixed, but I had a partial work around that I never revisited the issue. If you can create a small project that replicates the issue and submit that code to RIM, you are more likely to get it reviewed.
Developer

Thanks again John. I'll submit a bug report including some demo code.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

What exactly is your problem...

I have lists that scroll fine... now I'm worried that I'm missing something.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: -

[ Edited ]

Hello,

the problem I encounter with QNX List (and I think this is what Maurice means) is about the programmatically scroll instructions: methods scrollToIndex scrollIndexVisible may set the list selection to the specified index, but there is not "scrolling" associated to this setting.

The tween is broken or I don't know how to use it.

JC
Developer

Acenet wrote:

Hello,

the problem I encounter with QNX List (and I think this is what Maurice means) is about the programmatically scroll instructions: methods scrollToIndex scrollIndexVisible may set the list selection to the specified index, but there is not "scrolling" associated to this setting.

The tween is broken or I don't know how to use it.

Yes and no. The main reason that I posted is because of the bug described above.

But I am also having performance issues with ScrollPane and components that use ScrollPane and components that use ScrollPane as a container - Lists and  DropDownList.. 

I had previously discussed the issue in this thread but because few others seem to have this problem, I was resolved to waiting for a fix from RIM. Hovwver, I cannot avoid long lists in my new release and this issue will severely impact its useability. If anyone is interested my free app is "Stars for BlackBerry Playbook" in the education category. Swipe down from the top bezel to look at the sluggish list..

Developer

DT655 wrote:

What exactly is your problem...

I have lists that scroll fine... now I'm worried that I'm missing something.

Does inertial scrolling work properly - i.e. when you swipe the list, does it scoll a distance that corresponds to the force of your swipe gesture?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™
My Carrier: .

Just downloaded your app to see what you're experiencing, and it is strange indeed. It doesn't look like you're using a custom cell renderer, so it can't be an issue there.

I use a QNX list in my app with a custom renderer that uses more data than your simple section switching list, and it performs as it should. Inertial scrolling is smooth. I also use an almost-fullscreen scroll pane and it performs well too (or at least decent.. it may be dropping a frame here and there while scrolling).

Your issue... I've not seen anything like it in any app I've used that has a scrolling list. How is your starfield rendered? Could it be eating up all of the processing power and leaving very few resources for the rest of the interface?

It also looks like you aren't using the 1.0.1 SDK; its scrollbars are about half the width of the old ones. That could be affecting you as well.