Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)
My Carrier: Regional
Accepted Solution

Prompt to Save/E-mail a File

In my app I want to pass a file to a prompt for the user to Save (and potentially option to E-mail).  I've been looking around, can I just use the Adobe AIR File API, or do I need to use something specific for the PlayBook?

For the E-mail option I'm sure it'd have to be PlayBook specific, but then I'd also assume it needs to be "smart" and know whether the PlayBook is in Bridge mode (if E-mail is only supported under Bridge) or not.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Prompt to Save/E-mail a File

[ Edited ]

Basic AIR File works fine on the PB.

There has been nothing released regarding sending or receiving email via the PB and how that might work standalone and/or in conjunction with BB phones.  If you need to send an email today, then you will have to POST to your server and send from there via PHP or something.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Prompt to Save/E-mail a File

For the save dialog, you should be able to use File.browseForSave

For email, there's of course no API published, so anyone can speculate how it will look but no one outside of RIM/QNX knows.  I doubt an app would or should care much about bridge mode, however, as the API would (and here I go speculating) be fairly general and not necessarily guarantee immediate delivery of the message.  It may simply store it for later delivery, when the bridged device is available, or (beyond bridge mode) when a wireless connection is established.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!