Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

Question about device orientation

So, both of my apps have auto-orientation disabled, and this works as expected - when I put the Simulator into portrait mode and select an app, it re-orients into landscape. However! If I then minimize my app and put the Simulator into portrait, my app is stretched to fit the new 600x1024 dimensions. I've got to assume that this is a bug (if my app is set to be landscape, it should always be landscape...), but I wanted to double check here first. Thanks guys!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you wanna give my Playbook app a look, that'd be pretty cool. Smiley Happy It's easyTrans in the App World.
Developer
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: ---

Re: Question about device orientation

I say definitely a simulator bug.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My PlayBook Apps
Developer
My Device: 9700 | 9900 | PlayBook | Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Many :)

i noticed this, too.  its a simulator bug.

- - - - - - - - - -
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Actually, if you slide trom the bottom right corner  of the bezel towards the center of the screen, it will change the orientation to portrait from landscape and vice-versa.

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9550, 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Add an <aspectratio>landscape </aspectratio> in you app.XML file (Im pretty sure that fixes it on bb sim also)
Developer

Are you using the latest version of the simulator? I was having this same issues with previous versions of the simulator but not with the latest version. On 0.9.4, even if the simulator is running on portrait, when I click my app it switches to landscape (the correct orientation).

New Developer

ahazdesigns wrote:
Add an <aspectratio>landscape </aspectratio> in you app.XML file (Im pretty sure that fixes it on bb sim also)

Actually, I have that in my XML file and it's still bugged out. I'm just banking on this being a Simulator issue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you wanna give my Playbook app a look, that'd be pretty cool. Smiley Happy It's easyTrans in the App World.
New Developer

berryawesome wrote:

Are you using the latest version of the simulator? I was having this same issues with previous versions of the simulator but not with the latest version. On 0.9.4, even if the simulator is running on portrait, when I click my app it switches to landscape (the correct orientation).

Yeah, it switches, but if you go to your app, bring up the multitasking view, then swtich to portrait, it goes lame mode.

Developer

[ Edited ]

lame mode indeed. It does the same thing to the browser app so it's got to be a bug. In any case, I hope apps scale better on the actual device because when in multitasking view (regardless of orientation) apps look like cr@p.

Highlighted
New Developer

berryawesome wrote:

lame mode indeed. It does the same thing to the browser app so it's got to be a bug. In any case, I hope apps scale better on the actual device because when in multitasking view (regardless of orientation) apps look like cr@p.

Ah, I didn't bother to check the Browser. That all but confirms my suspicions, so there's one less thing I have to worry about...