Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: RIM: Top things ISV would like for the PB in 2011

jtegen wrote:

Please post here concrete things you wold like see RIM provide to ISVs in 2011.  

1. Significantly improved communications with and support of developers.  (There are signs of good efforts in this area already, but it's been a hit-and-miss affair over the 3 months I've been involved.)

2. Significantly faster/shorter release cycle for SDK and simulator updates.  Better than monthly is reasonable and feasible.  Be more agile!  The single biggest reason we don't have more and better apps yet is the delay in these releases and the opaqueness of any schedule for them.

3. Significantly improved quality in what is released.  Regression testing appears to have been ignored, and it's questionable (from our point of view) whether issues were addressed in priority order.

4. Significantly improved documentation.  (Professional technical writers should be involved.  The current docs seem to be written by the programmers themselves.)   To assist with this, implement better web-based tools for the docs, allowing direct feedback from its consumers (that would be us) to you in the form of corrections and comments which are curated by full-time staff at RIM.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

[ Edited ]

daviesjm wrote:

some additional thoughts:

* More examples, tutorials on how to develop AIR applications without Flash Builder.  ($600 is a little steep for those just getting into this development environment)

On the AIR webcasts, cost mitigation of Adobe tooling was mentioned as being considered, but I have not seen any developments on this.  See this thread for a few idea pitches for how this might be done in a way that is fair to all parties:
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Alternative-Free-IDEs-for-Playboo...
RIM - note that being short on cash is not the only reason why someone might balk at the cost. Another perfectly valid reason is just plain investment discipline.  Nobody knows how the marketplace is really going to turn out at this point.  Many years ago people could actually make money selling PC shareware; these days, not so much.
Edit: And BTW while it can be argued that anyone making a serious effort should be able to recoup the cost of the tools easily - sure that's plausible ... but they are just one expense on the ledger.  
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Having an Eclipse plug-in would be one approach to it.

Developer

Coherent, consistent, and timely cross-SDK support of critical API's like e.g. the analytics API.

Such  API's need to be architected so that it is not an error-prone, thankless chore for someone at RIM to update the various language bindings when a feature is added or a bug is fixed.  Maybe some of them even need to be pure services.

Basically, for critical API's don't make developers wish they were on some other technology stack halfway through a project because the API release was planned for the developer's chosen stack but only executed on a different stack due to avoidable technical issues.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

How to show .gif image

hello every,

I want to show animated .gif image in my app,Does anyone know how to do that?

Developer

[ Edited ]

I think @liangbf may have just posted the animated gif question to the wrong thread.  This reply is just to get the subject line back on track for the next person who hits 'reply'.

Developer

• Allow for the ability to have multiple CSJ files/registration/certificates on the same machine.  If a developer does consulting for another company, the app will be signed under their registration.  Currently this is not possible.
Developer

@Jtegen - MSOhm addressed this in another post.  He says that you can have multiple key registrations on a single computer so long as they are in different user accounts since the relevant files (db, etc) are stored in user directories.

Developer

Yes, I saw that.  MSohm response was posted after adding that to the list.

Developer

[ Edited ]

I know.  I just put that out there for others who might read through this post.