Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

RIM no longer ask for notarized statements.

Check this out, RIM have already taken positive steps in the developer sign up process;

RIM change sign up requirements

So well done Jamie Murai, although on his twitter he claims this is a FAIL on RIM's part? go figure...

Anyway I think it's an improvement, I'm just gutted they didn't do it earlier as this was the only part of the whole process that cost me anything to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out MyBestShot for the playbook in Blackberry Appworld.
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: RIM no longer ask for notarized statements.

Good move, but one blog does not change a company policy.  If I had to guess, this effort to simplify the process was well underway before that blog posting.  Just getting RIM's lawyers to sign off on this, would have taken time.

Developer
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)
My Carrier: Regional

appnewby, yesterday my buddy from Canada messaged me - he had sent in the notarized statement he got signed previously that day. It cost him 50CAD to get it notarized.

He got a reply back pretty quick that the notarized form was no longer needed.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook

@jtegen

I'm sure you're right RIM were probably planning on doing this at some point, but I think Jamie was the straw that broke the camel's back.

@JohnPinkerton

Ouch! I hope he gets a free playbook...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out MyBestShot for the playbook in Blackberry Appworld.
Developer
My Device: Z10

@Pinkerton 50 CAN to notarize.. what a rip off.  I went to my bank here in the US and got a notary for free.

While it is nice that there is one less obstacle for developers, for RIM to do so as a reaction to a rant shows weakness and will encourage more whiners.

When they change the rules on the fly in the middle of an active and popular promotion, they are going to open themselves up to some complaints from friends like yours.  It was not a smart move to do this right now.

Hopefully, your friend makes the deadline and qualifies for the offer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.
Developer
My Device: 9530, 9550, 9630

Ditto. Free notary from your bank....
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Yep free notary from your financial institution is the way to go (besides, it is not "free" from them ... they will extract money from you one way or another).

In any case, don't begrudge the hoops you have to jump through to prove you are who you say you are. They may be a hassle but they help keep out the riff raff, which will in turn make your experience in App World better than it would have been otherwise.  There are ample examples of riff raff on other platforms.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook

[ Edited ]

JohnPinkerton wrote:

appnewby, yesterday my buddy from Canada messaged me - he had sent in the notarized statement he got signed previously that day. It cost him 50CAD to get it notarized.

He got a reply back pretty quick that the notarized form was no longer needed.

notarizing works differently here in Canada.  you can't just walk into your bank and get service from a notary.

however, as a self-employeed worker i just submitted a scan of my tax information, which RIM accepted no problem.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Developer
My Device: Limited Edition Z10 & Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and I found a place called Notary Depot that did mine for $19.99 plus tax.  I found that quite reasonable since everywhere else I looked charged $50 or more.

Zymatic

Playbook Apps:
Touch Painter, LinkShrink

BB10 Apps:
NoteToSelf , LinkShrink