Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

RIM: 'no need' for native apps

[ Edited ]

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/11/16/rims.balsillie.talks.native.apps.4g.and.nfc/

Sorry, but that is a FAIL. Man Sad

PlayBook won't 'take-off' with only Flash apps as it's arsenal despite the powerful hardware. C'mon RIM, you can do better than this! Smiley Sad

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: RIM: 'no need' for native apps

As long as the consumer does not notice a difference and the user response, download time, and start time is fast, consumers just dont care if the underlying method to build the application is AIR, native, Java, QNX, HTML5, flavor-of-the-year.  Ask any end user consumer (not geek), and they just dont which is what.  The platform will have multiple SDKs to support multiple language-du-jour.

I'm confused what the issue might be??

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

He also said that gaming companies have been playing with native codes at web 2.0.

You should listen to the whole interview.

Developer
My Device: Playbook

I agree with jtegen, if it works well, people will use it.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

it's just the opinion of Jim Balsillie and nothing more than that. and just because that's his opinion doesn't mean that is going to happen. it's been said many times during the webcasts (if you bothered to join any of those) that there is going to be a native sdk for the playbook even tho the air platform is as strong as it is. that being said don't judge an issue by an article's punch line.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Any serious game will be done with native code.  Since the PB has OGL, it is likely to done at that level (+QNX native).  Other games can easily be done in AIR.  Browser games??  Some could be done in HTML5.  Some examples of HTML5 have been impressive.  I personally dont like working in multiple lanuages at one time and make them all work together (JavaScript, HTML, and backend (PHP, etc)).  ActionScript is one nice unified language. When the QNX/C++ SDK is available, I will probably test that out as well.

One nice thing about PB, it that it does not force you into one laungage and approach.  I do hope that all the SDKs will present the user a unified style, so it is not obvious which are native QNX vs. native ActionScript vs. XYZ.