Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Debug Player + Simulator Session Time Out..Where to set HOST IP?

[ Edited ]

Hey All,

I've been poring through numerous threads from users who haven't been able to use the debug player when publishing to the simulator...There have been several solutions posted, but none have worked for me so far.

My debug player runs fine when I publish locally with Burrito....

But when I test in the simulator the debug player times out after 2 mins...I can run the app fine in the simulator, but there are no traces in my output window, which makes troubleshooting my app difficult...

I've checked my simulator IP, and it's configured correctly in Burrito...

The only other thing I've read on these forums, is that the IP of my host IP might have changed...

I found this from JRab...

"from the looks of it two things can be wrong here. check your debug configurations and look for the two fields for device IP address and the debug host IP address. Soemtimes your host computer's IP address changes (DHCP) and you need to periodically update it in your setttings for flash builder. you can check for your IP using your command prompt and using the appropriate commands (ipconfig / ifconfig). good luck!"

Where are these two fields for the host IP and device IP? If i go to Run/Debug settings for my project, the only place I see to insert an IP address is for the device simulator....If someone could clarify where to set the host IP using Burrito on a mac, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

did you have to include my typo? jk Smiley Wink

Burrito is pretty tricky. Below are two screen shots showing you where the Host IP input field is:

Screen shot 2011-01-10 at 11.47.27 PM.png

And a closer look:

Screen shot 2011-01-10 at 11.47.51 PM.png

So downside is your going to have wait until the moderators approve my images. but till then ill try to describe to you where it is. It is right underneath the Device IP address. I have noticed that sometimes the field is "hidden" because the screen area is not big enough. so what you have to do then is in the lower right hand side of the menu for your debug configurations, you must click, drag and expand the menu till you can see the field on your screen. as you can see in my screen shot that there are other fields hidden even on my screen but they are not necessary so i dont worry too much.

hope that helps out some. good luck!

ps im using a mac 13" and the screen area available to develop is horrendous lol

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK clearly I'm not looking in the right place....

I have 17inch MBP so hopefully no fields are hidden....although I don't understand why fields would be hidden??

This is where I went...

Project

Properties

Run/Debug Settings

Edit launch configuration  -> my config

Launch method

On device

Deployment - Development modeSmiley Very Happyevelopment mode, Deployment method: Install and launch, Target (IP Address or Host Name of the Device or Simulator): 192.168.242.128, Device Pass: ****, Save device pass- checked...

I don't see a field here for Host IP input field.....Am I in the right spot?

Developer

hey,

yeah you seem to be in the right spot. the weird part is its right in between the device IP and the device password. thats strange it doesnt show up for you. i'll look into this further but hopefully someone can help you by the time i find something. also can you post a screen shot of the screen you see in your configuration? good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Contributor

Here's my config screen:

Screen shot 2011-01-11 at 12.08.51 AM.png

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

[ Edited ]

I installed the FB Burrito trial, had problems finding where they had moved everything vs. FB 4.0.1, and reverted back to 4.0.1 for the time being, so my comments are for 4.0.1:  (Note; I can't see your config screen screenshot as I post this; I guess the moderators have not let it go through yet?)

Make sure you are really editing a debug configuration, and not a run configuration.  In FB 4.0.1, Project>Properties>Run/Debug settings brings up, for one of my little test projects, a list of *Run* configurations.  If I want to get to my debug configuration for the same project, I need to go to the green insect icon on the toolbar, select the drop down arrow, and select "Other...".  This takes me to a list of my *debug* configurations.  The Run and Debug configuration dialogs look very similar, with the notable difference that the host IP field is missing for the Run configuration.  Up in the top right corner of the configuration dialog, there will be a run icon (green circle with a white triangle in it) if you are editing a run configuration, and a picture of a round green bug (which if you don't actually train your eyes on, but only glance at in your peripheral vision looks very much like a green circle) for debug configurations.

I had problems with no trace statements showing up and part of the time I think it was because I was being impatient and hackish, and confusing run and debug configurations.  Another thing to check in FB if your trace statements are not showing up - open the Flash Debug perspective and check the contents of the Debug view (top left window in default layout of the debug perspective).  Make sure the debugger is actually connected.

Developer

ahhh! thanks UberschallSamsara for clearing that up. so based on UberschallSamsara's post i went with a theory and followed the exact steps you posted in your previous post:

Project

Properties

Run/Debug Settings

Edit launch configuration  -> my config

I did the same exact steps and i too could no longer see my Host IP field. Turns out going to our debug settings via those steps shows you a whole different menu.

here's what you do:

Having your project opened up, navigate the following exactly:

In the top toolbar (File, Edit, etc) go to Run > Debug Configurations

after doing so a menu will pop up. it will look different from your other menu becasue you will notice this time there is a column on the left side with a list of your projects. (the other menu u were on did not show you the white column). at this point look for your project under the Mobile Application section in the new white column. click on it and you should now see a Host IP section.

Thanks UberschallSamsara!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Contributor

Ok so it appears I was looking at the Run Configuration screen and not the Debug Configuration screen......

UberschallSamsara & JRab - using your directions I found the actual debug config screen from the top bar: My host IP and device IP already correct!

I clicked the debug button on this screen the debugger connected to the simulator!....Argh.

Now I can connect without problems....Thanks for the help!

I've spent 4hrs trying to figure this out...and I still don't know what was wrong!!

Developer

hey,

i think you solved ur problem and just dont know it yet haha. As you have UberschallSamsara have stated you were running all your "debug" attempts as a run and therefore no traces or debug data would ever be returned to your Host computer. even if the IP address is there as you stated, since you were in a "run" mode it would never send any information back anyway. hope that clears things up!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Contributor

I'm not sure if run mode was the issue...I always publish with control+f11.....So that should be debug mode correct?