Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Removing app on Simulator Mac

How can I remove an app on the simulator (VM Ware Mac)?

Thanks

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Removing app on Simulator Mac

Try https://SIMULATOR-IP-ADDRESS/appinstaller.html

And accept the certificate.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

[ Edited ]

to add to jashsayani's answer:

https://SIMULATOR_IP_ADDRESS/appInstaller.html

there's a capital "I" in "appInstaller"

also, it may be worth mentioning for those developers who hadn't had enough coffee yet that the PlayBook simulator needs to be currently running and in development mode in order to access the installer.

to uninstall an application, you must supply both a Package ID and a Package Name.  to find these details for each installed application, click the "List" button, which will present something like this:

Action: List
@applications
PlayBookTest.testUGxheUJvb2tUZXN0ICAgICA::testUGxheUJvb2tUZXN0ICAgICA,1.0.0.0,source::developer

here i have an application installed with a Package Name "PlayBookTest.testUGxheUJvb2tUZXN0ICAgICA" and a Package ID of "testUGxheUJvb2tUZXN0ICAgICA"

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Developer
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

Great info to know, I had a bunch of early tests of applications in my simulator that were just sitting there never used and cluttering up the screen.  I was now able to remove a bunch of them and only have the applications that I desire...  no more HelloWorld Smiley Happy

By chance does anyone know how to remove the local cache for installed applications?  I uninstalled an application that had a db, when I reinstalled it the db was still there from before.  I would like to have a clean install rather than accessing old data.  It is also something to consider when moving forward that there may be persistent data from a previous install sitting around on re-install.

The database seems to be stored here:  

/root/.appdata/com.myfilename.debug/Local Store/local.db

So it is in a separate part of the Playbook much like the Application Data on pc, or Library blah blah on Mac.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

When I first posted the info about appInstaller.html, I also said you needed Package Id and Name, but someone kindly pointed out that the Package Id is sufficient by itself.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

[ Edited ]

@kdittyr, are you asking how to remove the application's local data programmatically?  There are no documented APIs for that, nor of course any other support in the simulator through the UI.

If you telnet into the device, though, you can just remove that directory with this command:

rm -r /root/.appdata/com.myfilename.debug

Disclaimer: this technique is undocumented and unsupported, and the "rm -r" command is extremely dangerous in the hands of someone who makes typos or has no idea what they're doing. Smiley Happy  (The -r part means "recursive" so if you put in the wrong path you'll wipe out everything in and below the specified folder...)

Warning: the above command is to be typed at the QNX shell prompt, not at your MSDOS prompt or OSX terminal.  If you don't really need to do this, don't even bother attempting it and don't complain here if it doesn't work for you.  I'm hoping the next SDK will tell us enough more in this area that either it or I or someone else can properly document some of these techniques for developers.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Playbook

peter9477 wrote:

Warning: the above command is to be typed at the QNX shell prompt, not at your MSDOS prompt or OSX terminal.  If you don't really need to do this, don't even bother attempting it and don't complain here if it doesn't work for you.  I'm hoping the next SDK will tell us enough more in this area that either it or I or someone else can properly document some of these techniques for developers.

Duly noted.  Thanks Smiley Happy

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Hello,

When I try to acces this adress, I get a 404 error.

I precise I typed it with the capital "i". I am using VMWare on a mac.

Have any idea? Smiley Sad

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

[ Edited ]

hey aenimea,

since the new SDK came out, the web backdoor access is no longer available. the only means of access to install / uninstall is via command line. there are a few threads about that floating around. if you search for "telnet" or "backdoor" you should get a few good results. good luck!

Edit: See post below for more accurate results.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Highlighted
Developer

[ Edited ]

Actually, searching for "telnet" may not help, as that was also removed in the new simulator.

You also don't need "ssh" either (which is what the new simulator supports), as they have provided adequate tools to do the job without.

From the command line, use the following to check what apps are installed.

c:\> blackberry-deploy -listInstalledApps -device 192.168.40.129 -password x

Sending List request...
Info: Action: List
@applications
Browser.QnJvd3NlciAgICAgICAgICAgICA::QnJvd3NlciAgICAgICAgICAgICA,1.0.0.0,source::developer
Container1.testQ29udGFpbmVyMSAgICAgICA::testQ29udGFpbmVyMSAgICAgICA,1.0.0.0,source::developer
DialogDemo.testRGlhbG9nRGVtbyAgICAgICA::testRGlhbG9nRGVtbyAgICAgICA,1.0.0.0,source::developer

Once you have the list, note the Package ID of the relevant package.  For example, for my app Browser, the Package ID is QnJvd3NlciAgICAgICAgICAgICA.  

Then issue the removal command:

c:\> blackberry-deploy -uninstallApp -device 192.168.40.129 -password x -package-id QnJvd3NlciAgICAgICAgICAgICA

Obviously you should substitute the appropriate simulator IP address and password for your own case, and make sure the simulator is in development mode.

For more help on that command, merely type it without any options.  Same goes for pretty much all the other command line tools, so you can teach yourself how to use them.

Edit: note also there's a bug with the -listInstalledApps output. If you have more than about 10 apps installed, it can (or will?) get corrupted.  I've reported this as bug TABLET-52.  It's still in triage, so if anyone has additional info on that, like perhaps that they have 20 apps installed and do NOT see the corruption, please add it to the ticket.  The workaround is not to forget your app's Package-ID, or uninstall apps that come earlier in the list until you can see the id of the app you want to remove.