Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Re: Rename my application for me!

[ Edited ]

GoldenJoe wrote:

Is this a game, or some kind of particle tech demo?

Not a game nor a tech demo. Just for people who like fireworks and visuals. I wish they had an Entertainment->Visualization section on App World but they don't. I think it is kind of relaxing and fun to look at.

I'm loving these ideas guys. Keep them comming!

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Maybe you can have a contest and give away a PB.

Please post when you need the final ideas in (+ TZ).

Developer

jtegen wrote:

Maybe you can have a contest and give away a PB.

Please post when you need the final ideas in (+ TZ).

Hah hah! Also I technically don't know if I will get one as I haven't heard back yet.

Final time I guess pretty soon because I need to make a new startup screen. Lets say 7pm CST. 

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Fireworks Fun!

Or

Fun with Fireworks!

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

thesmileman wrote:

Not a game nor a tech demo. Just for people who like fireworks and visuals. I wish they had an Entertainment->Visualization section on App World but they don't. I think it is kind of relaxing and fun to look at.

No offense, but I'm slightly horrified that you're charging the same amount for an app that essentially does nothing as I am for a full-fledged game. Maybe I'm undercharging, I dunno. I'm just bothered by the stark contrast in app depth and quality between some of what has been produced here compared to professional efforts. Obviously, they won't be equal, but it just seems to me like all we're making on this forum are do-nothing or shallow apps.

So now that I've said that, I'll offer helpful advice. I would go with "Touch! Fireworks". Assuming the user is tapping to spawn the fireworks, the "Touch!" let's you build a brand if your app is successful and you decide to create similar apps.

Developer
My Device: 9930, PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

How about "NightFlare"?  App looks great!  Can't wait to see it!

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

@goldenjoe:  I expect that people will play around with pricing once consumers have the device in hand are are looking for apps.  I always look at it is how much am I willing to pay for app XYZ (and not how much it cost to make).  I cannot expect anyone to pay for a farting app, but in some cases, if an app is amazingly popular, the author can actually charge more.  In a few months, if your app does not seem to be moving, you will either need to add features or reduce the price.

Developer

GoldenJoe wrote:

No offense, but I'm slightly horrified that you're charging the same amount for an app that essentially does nothing as I am for a full-fledged game. Maybe I'm undercharging, I dunno. I'm just bothered by the stark contrast in app depth and quality between some of what has been produced here compared to professional efforts. Obviously, they won't be equal, but it just seems to me like all we're making on this forum are do-nothing or shallow apps.

Actually I am charging less than a price of a soda for something I think most people will get a least an 30min or an 1hr of enjoyment out of. So I don't think I am ripping people off. Particle systems aren't exactly dirt simple to write and ones that perform well require more work. Also it isn't just one firework type that changes color and I have a number of updates planned. Visualization software like n-body simulations are some of the best selling software on tablets and are constantly in the top 100 apps on apples app store so there is clearly a demand. I certainly don't want to say yours isn't better or didn't require more work but the tablet and phone market demands products be cheaper than what we think they should be so they become impulse buys. I have a feeling people will really like the neat particle effects and show them to their friends. Maybe they won't. I have fun writing the app and I enjoy using it. Plus I can't charge any less than 99 cents or I have to give my work away.

Also thanks for the advice on the name! I like the idea of a brand. And yes they do respond to touches.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Sprint

@GoldenJoe,

Pricing is one of the trickiest parts of marketing.  Since the market doesn't officially open until people have Playbooks onto which they will purchase and download apps, nobody has any idea what fair market value is for apps.  Downloads and reviews will probably help define that.

And given that the Advertising SDK for Playbook is not ready yet, price per download is the only way to make money off our efforts.

I'm trying to base pricing structure on comparable apps in the Android Market and Apple App Store (which becomes interesting for apps with no real counterpart).

Now back on topic, if the app is non-interactive and simply displays fireworks, then maybe a simple name like Fireworks Viewer.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Wingflap wrote:

Now back on topic, if the app is non-interactive and simply displays fireworks, then maybe a simple name like Fireworks Viewer.

Oh, I guess I should have mentioned that yes it IS interactive and you touch to launch fireworks and they explode where you touched. It isn't multitouch because I can't be sure if my code will work properly since the simulator doesn't support multitouch yet but I will add it when/if I get my playbook.

Also I have in my development plan to add the ability to just let the app do its own thing so you can sit back and watch/be surprised by the show.