Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

SDK/Simulator Update Soon?

Will there be an update to the SDK and/or simulator soon, before the Blackberry is launched. Or is it safe to assume SDK 0.9.1 and Simulator Beta 2 is what we have to work with for the app promotion going on?

Would really like to do some more tests and maybe add some features before submitting an app. Or should we just leave out advanced features and add them later as updates after an app is approved?

One of the components I am curious about is the QNXStageWebView. Using the StageWebView now as a workaround for the security issue with the YouTube Player and works fine in the Air debugger but when run in the simulator is distorted (coming out white with ads). I am assuming this is because the browser on the simulator is still in the works, maybe the Flash Player on the simulator may not be ready (since the player is a SWF).

Thanks,

-Giraldo

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: SDK/Simulator Update Soon?

hey nitro,

im curious as to when the next update will roll out as well. i've tried using the QNXStageWebView but it was too buggy to consider. And the biggest fear is if i do submit an app utilizing the QNXStageWebView API what if it gets rejected for an uncaught but? too many if's. There are other 'bug's as well that id love to get addressed. there are some work arounds but not enough. i have my fingers crossed.

as for the AIR StageWebView it wasnt optimized for the playbook environment hence they created their own version QNXStageWebView and that probably explains the glitches that you are seeing.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

The guess is that another SDK and simulator will be out before Feb 1st, but my guess is not before the holiday break.  It has been suggested that if the app is "done", go ahead and submit it, but you'll will be able to update with new releases thru the deadline period.  If your app is solely based on the stage web view, and is not considered a "browser", then you might be very busy the later part of January.

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

With the missing KeyboardType stuff in qnx.ui.text, I'm hoping we get one sooner rather than later... Hard to build any app that takes inputs without the ability to tailor the keyboard types for the data type in the field.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

You can use the "restrict" property of the text input class (textField) to allow only certain characters and/or disallow others.

Running out of time here to hope to get a new SDK and incorporate any changes within a 3 week window.  Changes are high that we would get a new SDK after CES, but if we dont by end of next week, have to assume that is it for the give away.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

It sounds like they're pretty busy putting the finishing touched on the actual product so I doubt we're getting an updated simulator soon. I expect the thinking is that the current simulator is decent and soon they're will be actual Playbooks in the hands of some developers to test with anyways, so updating the simulator is not the top priority.

It would be nice to be wrong though.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Free PlayBook

Right now I'm just working on getting a free playbook. So far I've submitted two apps. Very simple games. I have other ideas that I'm waiting on until I get a real playbook to play with.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

PBDev wrote:

Right now I'm just working on getting a free playbook. So far I've submitted two apps. Very simple games. I have other ideas that I'm waiting on until I get a real playbook to play with.

Just a tip: You have better chances of getting approved when you have a good "deeply" developed app instead of several shallow apps, which likely won't impress the reviewers.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

@appstorelover: quality and amount of fun it can produce is in the eye of the beholder Smiley Happy

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

AppStoreLover wrote:

PBDev wrote:

Just a tip: You have better chances of getting approved when you have a good "deeply" developed app instead of several shallow apps, which likely won't impress the reviewers.

That's what I was thinking as well.

I built a very generic game in a short amount of time so as to at least have something that would have a chance at getting the Playbook even if I don't finish my real app in time. But I think I will be able to finish up my real app in the next couple of days Smiley Happy