Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

SDK/Simulator development timeline?

Is there any publicly available dev. timeline for sdk and simulator? It would be very nice to know upcoming features. For example, sound support in simulator, because it's really pain to test half of app on desktop and half in sim :\
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: SDK/Simulator development timeline?

There is not public timeline.  We can only hope that after they officially announce the product they will change that and start actually communicating with us better, but for now we're stuck.

(They have said the next SDK will be fairly soon, but then you have to look at what they did for earlier releases, where it was promised mid-December, but took a month longer to get out.  We'll get it when we get it, is the best way to think.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

As Peter mentioned, looking back at the release dates, they have been operating on a monthly release cycle (give or take a week or so).

New Developer

The main thing to know is not the dates, but the upcoming features. It would be cool to know what's going to be added next, what changes will be done etc. I understand that sometimes it's hard to name exact release date, but we don't really need it now Smiley Very Happy And yes, more feedback from BB would be very nice thing Smiley Happy
Developer

The best that we can hope for are detailed release notes.  Things can change pretty dynamically up to the release date. If they are trying to hold a release date, a feature might have to be backed out because it has not been completly tested or there was a show stopper dug.  If the pre-announced that a certain feature would be available and it got pulled just before release, then they would get he!! for it.

Asking/hoping for detailed release notes is a resonable expectation.

We're all going to download the SDK and re-compile anyway.

New Developer

@jtegen: that sounds reasonable. But still, I don't believe that they don't know major features that absolutely will be in next release Smiley Happy
Developer

BB is well known to be tight lip.  Yes, *they* know.  Think of it as a chess game.  You dont want to show your strategy too early.  Dont you think there are Apple spys on this list.  Only partners with signed NDA's have this kind of knowledge.  We will know when the public knows.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

@jtegen: that makes sense. now i wonder who's working for apple here -grins-

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman