Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: SHOCKING: Battery Life "more than an hour".

"8-10 hours of even video watching"

There's a well reported test of iPad 2 that got around 9 hours of life playing video. What they didn't say was the quality of the video. I'd have thought you'd use less processor power playing 240p YouTube video than 1080 HD for example.

My point is that comparisons are useless unless you have the two devices side by side performing the same tasks. And the Playbook charges using the same micro USB as used on the BlackBerry, so you can charge it pretty well anywhere with power. Including your car.

The original response to questions about battery life were that RIM has been working on squeezing more battery life out of the device. But since that effort is really modifying software to better utilize the power I doubt the process will ever finish. Perhaps at the launch event they'll quote numbers.

The question is can the device stand up to normal use, and my experience is very positive.

I checked out the iPad when it was first launched and walked away after 5 minutes. If you haven't already had your hands on a Playbook I'm positive you'll be impressed when you see its capabilities. 

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

I don't doubt that I will be. And I'm not concerned about convenience of chargers, more about finding a place to put the device while it's charging lol (it won't exactly fit in a cup holder in the car)
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Sprint

People who frequent sites like these, Crackbery, etc., get to see the rebuttals to statements about the Playbook.  But the fact of the matter is that the general public lives in a world of sound bites fed to them by whatever 'news' source they frequent.  To the average person, technology is moving so quickly that the product which is a rage today is on the clearance table in a few months while the technology 'news' outlets are all singing praises about the newest technologies and those repeating the marketing sound bites about those devices yet to arrive.

Technology reviewers for high volume sites all start from the same marketing info given to them by the manufacturers.  Then, more ofen than not, based on their own personal biases (and their own egos), refute or defend the information.  Everything inevitably comes down to talking points and buzzwords for the product.  That is all of the information the general public is able to retain in this ocean of technology.

These talking points translate into 'headlines' that appear when you do a news search on Google, Bing, or your favorite search engine.  So when someone is reporting for CNN and states that the Playbook's battery will last at least an hour, that might be the only information that someone might have about the Playbook's battery.  It will become a point of consideration when this person is deciding what to buy.  Since they believe that this talking point must be accurate because they saw it as a headline for an article on CNN's site, they believe it as fact and probably won't ask the question when making a purchase decision.

Damage like this is amazingly simple to create.  The real tricky part that requires great skill and lots of marketing dollars is undoing damage like this.  I was with a group of people the other day and was talking with someone who is fairly tech-savy who works in the telecommunications industry.  I mentioned the Playbook and he said that he's probably not going to be interested.  When I asked why, he said that the reviews he's read so far have not been good.  I asked what he meant and he said that there are no apps for it, it has poor battery life, it lacks a native email client, and it's a new untested OS.  I was baffled.  I asked him how this would be possible about a device that hasn't even been released yet?  I went on to tell him about the app contest as well as the ability to run Android apps.  I told him that there were no specs on the battery.  I described the Bridge app to him (he was excited to hear this since he uses a Storm2).  I told him that the OS was QNX and then he was impressed.

My point is that after explaining what I know about the Playbook, at this point, he is suddenly interested and is considering putting off the purchase of an iPad2 for a few weeks.  We are the ones who are frequenting thiese forums.  We're the ones who are getting all excited when someone posts another of the hundreds of Playbook video reviews/demos on Youtube.  And we're the ones who do a background check on a reporter making (hopefully) inaccurate comments about the Playbook's battery to find that he's an iFanboy.  The rest of the potential Playbook consumer base is not.

A topic I am seeing more and more recently is about RIM being very clsoe to a launch date with no marketing blitz.  The problem is that with only marketing hype and no releaseed product, the winds are definitely blowing Apple's way in toady's mobile computing market.  They're on the rise and Blackberry is on a decline -  or at least that is the gist of the talking points of the mainstream reporters.  I would have thought that the NCAA Final Four presented a perfect opportunity and audience for a media blitz.  I love the ad with the mac guy jumping rope and then the young girls multi-tasking.  The time is ripe.

In my opinion, the iPad2 launched not with a bang but a whimper.  Suddenly the talking points are saying that the iPad2 is great, but it's camera sucks.  I actually caught myself saying that to someone the other day, and then realized that I've never seen the iPad2's camera!  See how that works?  I played with a Xoom the other day, and it felt choppy, much nicer than 2.3, but not quite finished.  I have an iPod touch.  But I've played extensively with the simulator - Not even a real device - and the Playbook is what I want and what I want to develop for.

The Playbook launches in 10 days.  2011 is supposedly the year of the tablet and RIM has had theirs baking in the oven for quite some time now.  Unlike Android, who can endure the failure of the Galaxy Tab because if people don't like that, there's always the Xoom (and other yet to be released).  If the Playbook fails, it will be a while until we see the Playbook 2.

April 19 is the launch of the Playbook.  But it's the Wifi-only Playbook.  The one with questionable battery life, no apps, and no native email client.  The 3G/4G ones aren't scheduled to hit until the summer.  Maybe a low-key approach is good.  These Playbooks will be in the hands of the early adopters.  They'll say that the battery is actually quite good.  They'll tell people that they can run Android apps on it.  And then, the big marketing guns come out (with support of the carriers this time).  And maybe then, this device will get some respect.  Not that this guy is not doing potential damage to pre-orders, but won't everyone be surprised when the Playbook comes out and its battery actually does last longer than an hour?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I used the PlayBook easily for an hour and the battery level did not change that much.  The device was on much longer during that time.

The problem that will occur with the PlayBook in terms in quantifying battery life is what applications and how many do you have running.  RIM has said you will get at least 8 hours during normal business usage.  If I ran "Need for Speed" all the time, I expect battery life will be less than 8 hours.  If I just use the calculator all day, I will probably get > 8+ hours of usage.

RIM should probably get ahead of this by defining a set of benchmarks that people can follow for certain categories of usage (business, adult consumer, teenage consumer, gamer, etc.)