Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

See only shadow for the application icon

I do not see the application icon? This is what I do in the blackberry-tablet.xml file:

<icon>
  	<image>closeIcon.png</image>
  </icon>

The image file is also under src directory of the project tree and under bin-debug. Now when I debug using Burrito, I only see a shadow of the icon and not the icon. If I remove the above file name from blackberry-tablet.xml, then I see a blackberry icon.

My icon size is 72 by 72. When I add it to myapp.xml it gives missing from package error. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

HV

Contributor

Re: See only shadow for the application icon

I will like to add more information to my query. If I enter the png file to myapp-app.xml file it gives me "error 202: Icon closeIcon.png is unsupported format". 

I have been really tired of seeing the 2 errors. If my path is incorrect it says: missing from package.

If I correct if then it says: unsupported format.

Did anyone faced similar issues or have a fix for it?

Thanks,

HV

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

This appears to be an Adobe error code:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AIR/1.5/devappshtml/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118666ade46-7fd6.html#WSBE9...

Error notes: "Only the PNG format is supported. Convert images in other formats before packaging your application."

Inspect your icon file and verify that it really is a .png and that it has not been simply renamed with a .png extension.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

I thought the agreed application size was 86px X 86px?

As noted here in the FAQ post:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Playbook-FAQ/td-p/764647

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Steve's right.  Any information to the contrary is earlier, out-of-date advice. **

** Or more recent info that overrides the 86x86, but I doubt that will happen at this late date. Smiley Happy

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

Thanks for your help guys. I was doing 2 errors:

- Not using the correct pixel size - 86 by 86

- The .png format I was getting was simply by renaming the file which does not work. I have to save the file as .png in Paing (using the drop downs in the explorer window) to make sure it gets converted to a valid png format.

Thanks,

Harsh

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Free PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Actually 86x86 is just the official recommend icon size. Any size up to 90x90 will work, at lest in the simulator. I've been using 90x90 icon (the first official recommend icon size) from the start but I would stick with 86x86 icons. I might have to go back and change all of my icons.