Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: -

Re: Simulator freezing

The sim. v2 crashed *a lot* indeed. (it's almost unusable for my tests with local data actually...)

So it would be nice to have a new version asap.

JC
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Free PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

I've gone back to using the old simulator. I was spending more time resetting and putting the simulator back in development mode then using it. It really pisses me off to. I was so excited about being able to test sound and changing the orientation.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

@pbdev: are you able to use the newer sdk with the old sim?

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@braden, yes. 

But I'm not convinced yet that it isn't largely or entirely related to me switching back to the sim, when I've moved focus elsewhere, as others suggested above.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Free PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

@JRab: No I get a failure when I try to install with the new SDK. I'm using version 0.9.1 for now.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Yep. I've pretty much stopped development testing on simulator until we get a new Simulator.

Impossible to get any work done when you're spending 80% of your time rebooting the simulator, and re-configuring the clock.

Developer
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: ATT

I finally took the dive to 0.9.2 today... what a mistake... simulator is awful, cant even get past the loading screen it just sits at "blackberry playbook" forever.

Tried most things on all the threads, anyone find any way around the never ending boot screen?

Like all of my posts
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

kylefowler wrote:

... simulator is awful, cant even get past the loading screen it just sits at "blackberry playbook" forever.

Tried most things on all the threads, anyone find any way around the never ending boot screen?

I did... it just worked for me.  I guess I'm the lucky one.

Of course, it's not likely luck, just whatever my particular configuration is.  As I've noted, I'm using Windows 7 pro 32-bit, with VMware player 3.1.3.

If people who are having problems insist on never reporting anything about their own particular configuration, it may be next to impossible for anyone to figure out what all the failures have in common...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

This is a known issue though, RIM explicitly said they released the Simulator with the freezing bug.

So, not really sure system specs are useful, seems to affect everyone in different ways.

I'm using Win7 Ultimate, 64 bit, VMWare 3.1.2 (I'll try upgrading this to .3), and now the simulator just locks up every single time I toggle development mode, happened 4 times in a row last night...

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

@shawnblais: i think what peter was refering to was the simulator getting stuck at the loading screen. i dont think that is the same issue as the simulator freezing. if the user can see the bottom graphic "glowing" continuously it is not frozen - its just not loading up fully. However if it is frozen then the graphic would not be animating and would be a part of the known bug.

it'd be best for those who are getting stuck to let us know if their simulator is "frozen" or if its just stucking loading up.

i too have experienced the freezes time to time on my simulator but after the simulator is loaded and im actually in the OS operating it.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman