Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: ---

Re: Sooo frusturated with the signing keys part..

[ Edited ]

EraserX wrote:

I am following the instructions one the Blackberry website for signing my app.  It is ambiguous to me however, whether I need to do both or just one of the following two enumerated items. Help?

Sign your application from the command line
After you package your application into a BAR file you can sign it. You must sign your application before you publish it.
Before you begin:

* Package your application into a BAR file. For more information about packaging your application, see Package your application from the command line.
* Configure your computer to sign applications. For more information about configuring you computer to sign applications, see Configure application signing from the command line.

1. Ask the RIM® Signing Authority to sign your BAR file.

blackberry-signer -verbose -cskpass <your CSK password>
-keystore <your P12 file> -storepass <your P12 file password>
<BAR_file.bar> RDK

2. Sign the BAR file using your code signing certificate.

blackberry-signer -keystore <your P12 file> -storepass <your p12 file password>
<BAR_file.bar> author

You need to do both.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My PlayBook Apps
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

yes, turtle is correct in saying you need both of those lines to sign your app every time. the first one requests the signature and the second one actually signs the application.

@mediashock: when i asked about the keytool, i was refering to this line:

blackberry-keytool -genkeypair -keystore <output_file.p12> 
     -storepass <create_a_password> -dname "cn=<company_name>" -alias author

It is the third and final line you run when you register with RIM's signing server. was it successful? if so, did you get a confirmation email? check your spam box.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Ah yes i got to that point .. 

i am now stuck with this message

Code signing request failed because Package-Author in Manifest is not set to [Blue Orange Inc.].

I made twhen i made the cert to blackberry-keytool -genkeypair -keystore NAMEOFCERT.p12 -storepass <new-password-forthis-store> -dname "cn=Blue Orange Inc." -alias author

Developer

The blackberry XML file and yhe form you submitted for the keys and the command line cn= parameter all need to have identical company/publisher names.
Developer

hey,

yes, they need you to set the publisher name in the blackberry-tablet.xml file like this:

<qnx>
<initialWindow>
<systemChrome>none</systemChrome>
<transparent>false</transparent>
</initialWindow>
<publisher>Blue Orange Inc.</publisher>
<category>core.internet</category>
<icon>
<image>your_image.png</image>
</icon>
</qnx>

Alternatively, there is a packaging command you can use with the publiser parameter like this:

blackberry-airpackager .... -publisher "Blue Orange Inc."

hope that helps. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Contributor

hmm.. it is set to that.. 

could it be that when i first registered online i set it to something else...

Contributor

I double checked and I have the correct name in all places. Smiley Sad  I am about to cry.. lol 

Developer

no need to cry! we got you covered (mostly). what you should do then is use the -publisher parameter in your airpackager command. so it will look something like this:

blackberry-airpackager -package MyApp.bar MyApp-app.xml MyApp.swf blackberry-tablet.xml my_icon.png assets -publisher "Blue Orange Inc."

Just replace what you need to but keep the publisher parameter as it is. Hope that helps. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Contributor

alrigjht, tired to redo all that,, now i get this error

Key pair not generated, alias <author> already exists

when i try to run 

blackberry-keytool -genkeypair -keystore redpistoncert.p12 -storepass redwings -dname "cn=Blue Orange Inc." -alias author

so then i tried the 2nd signing  blackberry-signer -keystore YOURCERT.p12 -storepass <YOUR STORE PASSWORD> <YOUR RIM-SIGNED BAR FILE> author

and it looked like it worked.. it said Bar signed

...hmm i wonder if this actually worked somehow lol

is there a way to test to make sure its signed.. i dont want to submit it and RIM tell me its wrong

Developer

hey,

you dont need to run the initial registration commands again if you already did it once. you just need to run the last three including the packaging stage. after the packaging just do the next two to request a signature and then sign the app. when you ran this command:

blackberry-signer -verbose -cskpass <your CSK password> 
-keystore <your P12 file> -storepass <your P12 file password>
<BAR_file.bar> RDK

What output did you get?

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--