Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Specific industry app release

After a few months away from BlackBerry development, I am debating return for a specific project.

The project will be using a Tablet, potentially BBPB within a specific industry.

My questions are:

What are the available options for distributing the App? Does it need to be on AppWorld?

If it does, how can I restrict that only certain Users can download it? ( not just making it login restrictive )

How does one test an app in development on an actual PlayBook? Can I somewhat easily get it onto my brand new PB and run it, or must I follow procedures much like iOs?

Is there any information on durability? ( drop test ratings or videos of the unit taking a hit )

Thank you for any information.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Specific industry app release

You might want to visit the AIR forum for specifics in loading an app to the device that is not from App World. The short answer is yes, you can load an app without it being in App World. The App World forum should cover the question about user restrictions. I hope/think the DM will be able to load apps from there too (not certain).
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

[ Edited ]

Hi!

Honestly speaking you don't have to be on App World to sell your applications. The only advantage of App World as it is acting as market place for people to come in to shop. How many people know that you sell apps - not to many. How many people know that they can by apps on App World - everybody.

In your specific case it is rather an advantage - since you targeting specific group of people, and  your goal is distributing application only among this group of people and nobody else, App World is not for you, or lets say it is not for this particular application.

You can easily sell your application to this targeted group from your website, the application that people are going to get is going to be nothing different then if they would download from App World. This is because you still have to sign your app with your key and with Blackberry, so basically go through signing process as usual. That is why you can't just load unsigned app into your actual PlayBook, and that is why you have to use tokens.

If you upload your app to App World everybody who is willing to pay money could get it, and the selling price would be just a factor easily overcome with money.

So lets say now you selling application from your website. And here you have two options: 

1. You creating secure login for buy this particular app on your webpage and only letting people that are part of the group to log in and buy.

2. You collecting money and then email application to people you want. Here though you will have to take of loading to device routine for them, such as creating some kind of script that would load it for them with the push of the button. Or you could teach them how to use terminal and command lines - (which is impossible). And they will have to have SDK installed.

The more I write about it the more obvious it becomes that this last option is not really an option, and the entire reply looks rather confusing. 

One more thing: If BlackBerry Desktop Manager supports loading signed bars from desktop to PlayBook than things become way less complicated.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900/Z10 Special Edition
My Carrier: Rogers

I would distribute within App World, and specify that the app is for select people only, and if you are one of those people, you'd know it...and I'd also have login enforcement for those specific people IN the app itself ...and obviously only the people who are allowed to you'd set them up with a login....

Just a thought.
CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting
Contributor

If you do log in enforcement within app and distribute it on App World can you imagine the amount of complaints you will get from people that are excluded.

This app will never get approved.
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

@alex_k:  Are you sure you can distribute PlayBook apps through a web site download?  I thought for sure that was not supported on the PlayBook.  I do know that if you have a BlackBerry Enterprise Server at your business that it can be distributed that way -- at least that is what the RIM rep said at our company.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.
Developer

Oh boy

Thanks for replying guys but now I am more confused than before.

But aside from us now knowing if the app can be installed outside of appworld ( which i wish I could a definit on ).it has been suggested that an app with sign in restrictions would not be accepted into appworld...?

Is that for real?

Contributor

@ DachFlach

Obviously I was just giving my point of view, when i was saying that app with such restrictions will not get approved.

But logically speaking, have you ever heard about application with login restrictions being sold in any kind of app store, I am talking about apps where you can not sign up freely as a new user.   

Contributor

@daviesjm

If you can take your signed application and send via email, I don't see anything that would restrict from uploading it to your web site and providing a link to download it from there.

How people would get your signed app once they downloaded it to their PlayBooks is a totally different story.
Developer

I would rather Not have it on an app store.

I am asking if there is a way to load the app onto the PlayBook directly.

ex: via download link from web.

Does anyoine know for sure?