Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Splash Screens and "Standard RIM Device Screen Resolutions"

What is the best approach to package up splash screens for the various BB10 screen resolutions (1280x728,1280x720 and 720x720)?

Will the splash screen XML be expanded for the various resolutions or do we need to package up a new BAR file for each possible screen res? 

Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

Re: Splash Screens and "Standard RIM Device Screen Resolutions"

my guess would be that the blackberry-tablet.xml will be modified (currently it's like <splashscreen>img_landscape.png;img_portrait.png</splashscreen>, wasn't it?). i have a bb10 alpha, and the splashscreen of a playbook app (1024x600) is simply stretched to 1280x768

which also probably means that for the 720-devices the images will be stretched as well, as long as we don't get any info to the syntax of the -tablet.xml. to make it super simple, don't make your splashscreen image too colorful, use a white background, set the background color of your entry sprite to white as well (i forgot the exact syntax, sth like [SWF= ..... background=0xffffff] in your main class), and no-one will notice Smiley Very Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Developer

Hopefully they would do something like how the icons are done:

<splashscreen>

<1020x720>1020_720_landscape.png:1020_720_portrait.png</1020x720>

<720x720>720_sq.png:720_sq.png</720x720>

</splashscreen> 

Stretching the image looks really bad.

Or have the image centered on a specified background color so you only have to produce a 720x720 regardless.  Then yo do not have to worry about orientation changes.

<splashscreen>

<image>720_sq.png</image>

<bgcolor>0x00E200</bgcolor>

</splashscreen>

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

I'll look into this and report back.

Cheers,

Dustin

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

jtegen wrote:

Hopefully they would do something like how the icons are done:

<splashscreen>

<1020x720>1020_720_landscape.png:1020_720_portrait.png</1020x720>

<720x720>720_sq.png:720_sq.png</720x720>

</splashscreen> 

Stretching the image looks really bad.

Or have the image centered on a specified background color so you only have to produce a 720x720 regardless.  Then yo do not have to worry about orientation changes.

<splashscreen>

<image>720_sq.png</image>

<bgcolor>0x00E200</bgcolor>

</splashscreen>

What if a tablet is released that has the same 1280x720 resolution? Text would be much larger. Or worse, what if an app is built for and tested on such a tablet. but then installed on a phone? Text may be too small to read. Ideally, splash screens should be orientation, resolution and density specific, with optional defaults for lazy developers/designers as described above.

BTW: the documentation of blackberry-tablet.xml is incorrect, it claims the PlayBook resolution is 1200x600.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Retired

I let the docs team know about the incorrect resolution. Thanks for pointing that out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer

@Innovatology.

You cannot look at the resolution to size things (like text), you have to size things relative to the DPI.  The overall stage size should not be hard coded either, but relative to the size for control placement.  However, knowing the max width or height is 720 allows the developer to know that things have to scroll or page to fit properly.

For example, we use the PB size as the basis of everything else (since it was first) and size it and the BB10 relative to that measurement system and the DPI.  So the BB10 phones are about 2x that of the PB device.  It seems to work pretty well.  When CSS is fully up on both devices, then I can correct it by dynamic CSS. 

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

jtegen wrote:

You cannot look at the resolution to size things (like text), you have to size things relative to the DPI.  

Yeah, that's what I said: "splash screens should be orientation, resolution and density specific."

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

I would love to have the option to just center a logo. This is starting to look like more complexity then I want to spend time on for such a small feature...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Retired

Hey guys,

More info on splashscreens can be found  here: - https://developer.blackberry.com/native/beta/documentation/com.qnx.doc.native_sdk.devguide/com.qnx.d...

Regards,
Dustin