Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Stage3D

It's maybe a bit off topic, but I wonder if the BlackBerry folks, who have expressed an interest in maintaining an open source GUI toolkit on top of Stage3D, might also consider implementing a set of bindings for MonoBerry for Cascades - maybe even through some partnership with Xamarin.

To bring it back, that could be a nice way to get Stage3D + native(ish) GUI toolkit support.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

BB already has a prototype of the stage3D GUI toolkit. BB just does not have the resources to experiment in other areas if they are not core to BB. However, since the toolkit will be Open Source, nothing prevents the community to do what you are suggesting.
Developer
My Device: Z30, PlayBook

We're working with Adobe to bring version 3.5 of the Adobe AIR runtime to the platform. This update includes Stage3D support.

Scheduled for June with 10.2 Beta release

My Device: -
My Carrier: -

We were told to receive some good news during this BlackBerry Live in Orlando so I was hoping we could get some Stage3D Beta now Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

BTW I was thinking of making a BB UI Theme for Feathers UI http://feathersui.com/

Do you think it's worth the time or will BlackBerry come with their own theme for Feathers?

New Contributor
My Device: Emulator
My Carrier: None

> 3.5 of the Adobe AIR

With 3.8 about to be released, is there a reason why BB is just getting 3.5?

In my case, as long as Stage3D is supported I'm good, but I was just wondering - I figured if the Adobe / BB engineering team would find it easier to work with and modify the latest version.

New Developer
My Device: Z10

[ Edited ]

mal_Duffin wrote:

> 3.5 of the Adobe AIR

With 3.8 about to be released, is there a reason why BB is just getting 3.5?

In my case, as long as Stage3D is supported I'm good, but I was just wondering - I figured if the Adobe / BB engineering team would find it easier to work with and modify the latest version.

In some older posts of this topic was explained that every new release is like starting again. They had to choose an stable release and stick with it in order to reach gold some day :3

Trusted Contributor

It makes sense they have to stick with some version Smiley Happy But I have two more questions:

1) Why it's taking so long to deliver a new version for BlackBerry 10 and not so long for iOS or Android?

2) Does it mean that it will take this long to get any newer versions of AIR when 3.5 is out?

New Developer
My Device: Z10

designkros wrote:

It makes sense they have to stick with some version Smiley Happy But I have two more questions:

1) Why it's taking so long to deliver a new version for BlackBerry 10 and not so long for iOS or Android?

2) Does it mean that it will take this long to get any newer versions of AIR when 3.5 is out?

1) I don't know, maybe the development team focused on this task is smaller or maybe RIM has another priorities at the moment.

2) I guess it will depend on the reception of this version and how much are we able to do with it and make it worth the time for them to keep updating it.

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook

Adobe does the development work for Android and iOS inhouse. BlackBerry has to do all the porting work after the fact to their BB OS themselves, presumably with some help from Adobe, I wouldn't guess that much help. Adobe doesn't seem interested in any platform that doesn't have significant market share (even Windows 8's app store!), so they won't spend the resources to do the development on BBOS 10 inhouse.

BTW, any word on availability of AIR 3.5 and Stage3D on Playbook? I assume it's waiting for a port of BBOS10 back to Playbook, is there any news on that?