Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Stage3d not displaying in os2.0! Flash11, air3, but nothing?

I am going to try and clear a few things up.

1. Stage3D is not availalbe on any mobile platform in the broswer Flash Player Plugin, and most likely never will be.

2. Stage3D is only available for mobile platforms in AIR 3.2 no 3.1.

3. AIR 3.2 has not been released yet. It is currently in pre-release for other platforms.

4. PlayBook Tablet OS 2.0 will ship with AIR 3.1.

Ok hopefully that clears up some of the confusion that has come up in some of the comments in this thread.

As of right now, we currently do not have a timeline for when and if PlayBook OS will get AIR 3.2. It is a lot of work to update to a new version of the AIR runtime and requires a lot of testing and help from the community to ensure that applications continue to work as expected. We are currently evaluating the developer demand for this on mobile. So if there is a great developer demand for this and there are lots of Stage3D applications on other mobile platforms, then there is a better chance you will see the upgrade happen.

New Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

Thank you jdolce for your reply. We need Stage3d on Playbook! This way we will be able to provide many, many more applications/games without changing our tools and experience. We have been expecting this since last year: there are many Flash developers willing to deploy on Playbook with Air if it features Stage3d, and if Playbook is the first mobile platform to feature Air 3.2, this will at last gather the Flash community RIM wanted from the start around the PLAYbook (and be a selling point) Smiley Happy

I'm willing to open a petition thread to bring Air 3.2 on Playbook on flashkit.com and other community websites!

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

$0.02. I gathered from jdolce reply that they want to know numbers. For RIM to put forth an effort, they need to see real numbers of terms of developers, apps, price points, etc. They need an ROI. Terms like "we" and "many" is not sufficient. So it is a good idea to get a petition to gather some metrics on the number of apps (and types of apps) that having this feature will bring. More importantly, I would think existing apps that use this will carry more weight because they would be on the market faster. Also, those developers that have a track record of bringing high quality, high downloadable apps would be good information as well.

New Developer
My Device: Playbook

Thx jtegen.

A simple question remains: why would Stage3d be showcased running back in October, for it not to be supported anymore? Work was done, or was it a fluke?

It's a no brainer however. I don't want to beg for anything, especially if it was showcased already, then 'not planned'. Strange. If RIM took it seriously they would have it out by now if not already a year ago. How many developers do they have there now? I'm willing to get that petition going, and get the 'highest profiles' around, but then what? If they don't know who Andre Michelle or Squize or Ngfx or Hasufel or Marmotte or TomSamson or Luxregina or hundreds more are, then what can we do? 'We' broke several billion games played online barrier over the last ten years, 'we' do not need to beg Smiley Happy However 'we' can show our motivation. Let's go facebook group or what? How many developers would it take to convince RIM that it is the right choice and good 'ROI'?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Companies showcase technologies all the time that never make it to market. There are a lot of reasons why those R&D efforts never see the light of the marketplace. Few include: market size, cost, strategic direction, loss of internal cheerleader, priority changes, etc. This last go around was the Cascade features. Great demos, looks great, but that "could" be another feature we may never see (as an example). We've been told about 60/40 split on RIM ads; that got lost. We see teaser products all the time from electronic and automobile industries.

Yes, it would be nice to have stage3d, and there are probably a bunch of developers to take advantage of it and of those, maybe a few titles that will have market success. It is worth trying, but it seems that a very small percent of developers (the "we") speak up. The rest hibernate or troll. Those that have influence with RIM are developer partners.

Keep up the effort.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

Julian,

We have 2 consumer and 1 business app (not games) in planning stages that would benefit from Stage3D. It would be a shame if we can release those on other platforms but not on PlayBook.

Furthermore, I very much hope AIR on PlayBook is kept in pace with (or ahead of) the market. The implementation of AIR on PlayBook is superior to other mobile platforms, and RIM would be wise to embrace and capitalize on that.

Without wanting to start a debate, having worked with both technologies I believe it will be years before HTML5 is a viable alternative, and by that time AIR will have evolved further.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer

jdolce wrote:

I am going to try and clear a few things up.

1. Stage3D is not availalbe on any mobile platform in the broswer Flash Player Plugin, and most likely never will be.

2. Stage3D is only available for mobile platforms in AIR 3.2 no 3.1.

3. AIR 3.2 has not been released yet. It is currently in pre-release for other platforms.

4. PlayBook Tablet OS 2.0 will ship with AIR 3.1.

Ok hopefully that clears up some of the confusion that has come up in some of the comments in this thread.

As of right now, we currently do not have a timeline for when and if PlayBook OS will get AIR 3.2. It is a lot of work to update to a new version of the AIR runtime and requires a lot of testing and help from the community to ensure that applications continue to work as expected. We are currently evaluating the developer demand for this on mobile. So if there is a great developer demand for this and there are lots of Stage3D applications on other mobile platforms, then there is a better chance you will see the upgrade happen.

Does that mean captive runtime is out then? I was hoping you gyuys would eventually support CR, and then we can bundle our own runtimes... or will that just never work?

" We are currently evaluating the developer demand for this on mobile." This sounds like Adobe says when they have no plans at all to support the feature in question.

Seems rather silly to me. Stage3D opens the door for Starling + ND2D. So the question is, is there demand to make performant 2d games in AIR? Thats an obvious one.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: -

Yes, same question here: Stage3D should be available thanks to AIR Captive Runtime.  Isn't it the case ?

Btw, I'm downloading the SDK 2.0 and here's what specified about Stage3D:

"Create rich animations and 3D graphics with Stage3D"

JC
New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Acenet wrote:

Yes, same question here: Stage3D should be available thanks to AIR Captive Runtime.  Isn't it the case ?

Btw, I'm downloading the SDK 2.0 and here's what specified about Stage3D:

"Create rich animations and 3D graphics with Stage3D"

It's strange that this information appears on official blackberry sdk download page...

I tried to export stage 3d example on final PlayBook OS 2.0 and all I see is black screen, so it's for sure mistake on page. 

According to Adobe white paper it will be supported on iOS and Android:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

It's sad that Playbook will not have it in the near future.

Time to switch to different OS?

BlackBerry Development Advisor

It's strange that this information appears on official blackberry sdk download page...

I tried to export stage 3d example on final PlayBook OS 2.0 and all I see is black screen, so it's for sure mistake on page. 

According to Adobe white paper it will be supported on iOS and Android:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

The bullet point on the download page about Stage3D is there by mistake and we are currently working on removing it.

As you can see from the whitepaper, Adobe does not provide support for AIR 3.2 on PlayBooks. Until Adobe delivers an AIR 3.2 runtime which supports PlayBook, captive runtime cannot be used for Stage3D and it will also not be available to developers on the runtime which comes with the device.