Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Reply
Developer
Posts: 113
Registered: ‎03-23-2011
My Device: Playbook, Z10
My Carrier: Platinumtel

Strangeness with blackberry-tablet.xml and bar manifest

I've had some weird problems that nobody else has mentioned regarding information in the blackberry-tablet.xml file and the subsequent bar file manifest.  I'm using the command line tools in linux.

Here is my file for reference:

 

<qnx>
	<icon>
		<image>blackberry-tablet-icon.png</image>
	</icon>
	<author>My Author Name</author>
	<authorId>My Author Id</authorId>
	<category>core.games</category>
	<action>play_audio</action>
	<buildId>1</buildId>
	<platformVersion>1.0.0.0</platformVersion>
</qnx>

 

The first problem is that even though I specify the category, it does not end up there when run on the actual device.  This is true for both testing unsigned with a debug token and for the app downloaded from AppWorld.

 

The second problem has to do with testing the unsigned bar and debug tokens and such.  I get the "500 BarFileUnsignedError" even though I'm following instructions to the letter.  Here's the output (notice the "actual_" items are blank), and after that I'll put the command I'm calling.

 

Info: Package created: shipgame.bar
Sending Install request...
Info: Action: Install
Info: Development mode: on
Info: File size: 3755841
Info: Installing ...
Info: Processing 3755841 bytes
actual_dname::
actual_id::
actual_version::
result::failure 500 BarFileUnsignedError
Sending Launch request...
Info: Action: Launch
Info: Development mode: on
Info: Launching athrainstorm.testYXRocmFpbnN0b3JtICAgICA...
result::130179179
Info: done

 Here is the command line that generates the above output:

blackberry-airpackager -devMode -package shipgame.bar -installApp -launchApp shipgame-app.xml shipgame.swf blackberry-tablet-icon.png -device 192.168.2.3 -password pass

The manifest has this value:

Package-Author: Unknown

which tells me it's not getting the value out of the blackberry-tablet.xml file.

 

 I discovered that if I supply the airpackager command with my debug token bar file that the correct information is put into the manifest.  Here's the command:



blackberry-airpackager -devMode -debugToken /path/playbookDebugToken.bar -package shipgame.bar -installApp -launchApp shipgame-app.xml shipgame.swf blackberry-tablet-icon.png -device 192.168.2.3 -password pass

And the resuting "actual_" items:

actual_dname::athrainstorm.testYXRocmFpbnN0b3JtICAgICA
actual_id::testYXRocmFpbnN0b3JtICAgICA
actual_version::1.0.2.0

 With the correct results in the bar manifest file also.  When I do things this way, all works as it is supposed to, except for the app category.

 

My blackberry-tablet.xml file is in the same folder as all of my other files (app.xml, app.swf).  What am I missing here?

 

 

----------------
WIP game: Melodaeum
My graphically bland but very useful Morse Code trainer: Speed CW
My graphically attractive but boring game: The Rainstorm
Developer
Posts: 6,473
Registered: ‎12-08-2010
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Strangeness with blackberry-tablet.xml and bar manifest

You're not actually including the blackberry-tablet.xml file in your packaging command line. It is not included automatically.

You can troubleshoot such problems by unzipping your .bar file to see what is inside. If you don't see it there, neither will the PlayBook... Also make sure, if you do see it there, that you examine the file with a text editor to see whether it's really yours and not some generic template from the SDK folders.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
Posts: 113
Registered: ‎03-23-2011
My Device: Playbook, Z10
My Carrier: Platinumtel

Re: Strangeness with blackberry-tablet.xml and bar manifest

Wow, I don't know how I missed that.  At some point I thought that the file needed to be named blackberry-tablet.xml because the packaging tool automatically includes that file.  Whoops.  It's actually pretty amazing that I was able to submit an app, have it accepted, and put in appWorld without that config file.  I guess it's that the packager tool has parameters for the things that are required from the xml file, and I figured those out, but somehow missed including the xml file itself.

 

Thank you.  I will test this out later, but I feel pretty confident that it will work now.

----------------
WIP game: Melodaeum
My graphically bland but very useful Morse Code trainer: Speed CW
My graphically attractive but boring game: The Rainstorm