Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Superbowl PlayBook Ad

I doubt it has to do with anything about a possible slip in the release date.  Super Bowl commercials and commercials in general take months and months of planning and execution and negotiation with the FOX network to get the proper placement of the ad.  It can cost a company a lot of money to produce and air one of these commercials.  If they had one, I doubt they would pull it just because of a month or two slip in release.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

I agree with jtegen..It takes a lot of planning and another point you should keep in mind is that Blackberry will eventually sell these devices thru a carrier(Sprint and perhaps others). You need to have the backing of your carrier before you can broadcast an ad. BB is not running a retail store and selling the devices on their own(I am not sure if thats in their plan for the wifi version). My guess would be that Sprint and BB would launch the first ad prior to launch.  

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

The Blackberry Dubai presentation --- RIM's speaker let it slipped that the US release is at the beginning of Q2 or tail of Q1 --- around the 12:00 mark on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyOFQmQHLeo

Developer

I personally cannot see how they will ship a month from now.  The SDK is just not ready yet.  But then again, we're the last to know about stuff here anyway.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Sounds like we shouldn't expect to see one until the end of March (at the earliest).

Anyone else feel like they're kind of stumbling here? I don't know about everyone else but when a product has been around for 5 months with no announced release date or price, it doesn't inspire confidence. The Xoom was announced in January and will be out in a week or so. That isn't going to bode well for BlackBerry. And with Palm coming forward with the Topaz soon, it's only going to add more competition that they don't need.

I'm not saying the PlayBook doesn't look like a stellar product (because it does), but so far every other tablet has been pretty awesome as well. I just get the impression that RIM is a little too confident in their tablet and isn't showing enough respect to the competition.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer

It is easy to be on the sideline and critique the on field players.  I have to hold myself back in saying "Hay RIM, get the hype machine going!", but unless you are in those technical and marketing meetings, reviewing competition and budgets, creating forecast models, SWOT analysis, partner schedules and needs and production, it is best to assume we are in safe and competent hands. 

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Google's comment  of "android is not for tablet" predated the playbook announcement.

When a company says Q1 --- doesn't matter whether it's Microsoft or RIM --- you expect it to be in March.  So I don't really see that much slipping or stumbling.

Developer

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't say their stumbling on a release date, I'm aware the whatever quarter they put it in it would have been near the end. I'd just that at this point, it seems like they're still working to get all their ducks in a row, when they should be able to show off what the tablet is capable of and working the hype machine.

Any other recent (as in last 6 months) official product announcement that I can think of has been able to answer most of the basic questions that people have been asking about the PlayBook. How is GPS still not confirmed or denied? And portrait mode is only running on some Beta devices? I understand that there are still 40+ days before they miss Q1, but I would think that at this point they should be a little further along in development and demployment of a more feature packed sdk.

Unless this is all part of some plan...(knowing RIM, probably not).

EDIT: Just thought I'd a little note here: I'm in no way trying to bash RIM, the PlayBook, or anyone who is a BlackBerry fan. I'm just curious if anyone else feels the same way I do regarding what they've seen so far regarding the launch.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I certainly wouldn't expect one before the end of March, but then I also don't see any reason yet to assume it will be later.

Stumbling?  Not really... maybe, but there's about zero solid evidence of that.  Remember that we know almost nothing here on the outside... not even officially whether there's a GPS.  We're not the paying "partner" development firms.  We don't necessarily have the same tools -- I'm fairly sure numerous organizations have actual PlayBooks that they've been using to test on, rather than relying on the SDK.  The SDK that we get is probably built as a reduced subset from the real one, to strip out certain things the marketeers just don't want us to see yet.  We don't get to see the real bug database, and until the latest SDK came out they didn't even seem to have paid any attention to ours.  They've bought TAT and surely are integrating them tightly into the PlayBook development, yet we've heard nothing... you think maybe they have a parallel build with some slick new things that won't see the light of day until the real release?

I think all the evidence we have is simply consistent with a company that wants to keep a very tight lid on many things, primarily (I think) because they do respect the competition, especially the Xooms and iPad2s of the world...  no news is good news.

If they announce too early, they may tie themselves to a price that's too high for the market, and would be in a fix.  Do you drop the price right away, looking like idiots, or do you pretend to ignore the problem and possibly lose big on early sales?

What if iPad2 is announced the day after the PlayBook?  You might waste a few million of your advertising bucks, with all the press going to the elephant in the room.  Maybe better if you find out when that will be (or think you know), to hold off as long as possible to have some buffer between the announcements.

What if iPad2 is announced next week?  Don't you want to have time to look at it, gauge reaction, and adjust your own pending announcements to compensate?  Maybe it has NFC and you were going to hold off with any more mention of that for now.  Instead, you'd possibly want to change your plans and pre-announce that the Sprint 4G model will have the "module cavity" filled with some NFC circuitry (assuming that's where it would go).  Then get the engineers to put a few more co-ops onto the NFC drivers so you can get it done in time.

What if the Xoom really does ship soon?  (And why does anyone think that's likely, with what was shown at CES?  I may be wrong but it seems unreasonable to me that it could be finished ahead of the PB, comparing what we saw.  And Motorola's not exactly known for super-fast time to market.)

They may be late.  They may stumble.  But remember that until now, we've never been told anything other than Q1, and the end of Q1 is still a ways off.  All the negative talk isn't going to help us keep new developers interested and on board, building out the ecosystem for this product.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Motorola Xoom ship date confirmed by Best Buy (along with a ludicrous price)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/06/best-buy-ad-prices-motorola-xoom-at-800-affirms-february-24th/

Peter you do however bring up a very good point I had forgotten about, and that is that RIM could be waiting until something is announced about the iPad 2. Which would be smart on their part.

(As for the module cavity, it has been confirmed that it is not something that is user accessible. It's a orifice deep inside the PlayBook for hardware enhancements at the factories where devices are built)

- Hockey DrillBook -