Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Support for Flash in Playbook Simulator Browser

Does anyone know if there is a simulator version that will allow Flash to be executed in the browser.

We've had good success in 0.9.3 with complex web pages, but Flash doesn't load.

And if the browser will support Flash, do we need to do anything to make Flash web apps touch sensitive.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Support for Flash in Playbook Simulator Browser

I'm pretty sure 0.9.3 was the first one to come with the browser.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Yes, but I'm hoping there might be RIM affiliates reading the board that have more recent builds.

Just guessing but judging by some of the current partner demos there must be a number of different sim builds.

Developer

You are very unlikely to hear any details of that sort of thing in this forum.

By the way, Flash will definitely work in the browser... there's no question about that.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

I think it is all speculation at this point. I had predicted a new sim/sdk today and tried to get someone to comment on it but to know avail. They're pretty tight lipped on exactly where the software stands in terms of features and such

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer

[ Edited ]

I think they're being too paranoid about releasing information.

If you don't tell me anything I'll assume the worst case because I have no reason to think otherwise.

They're already demo'ing the device to enterprise. And retail partners have organised training, so the launch isn't far off.

Why not start to release limited information to the developer community? We don't even know what apps will be shipped with the device to decide whether our apps will compete with RIM apps.

I can only assume that Flash over the web doesn't work otherwise why not release?

Seems the only way to find out anything is to have a whining blog post go viral Smiley Wink

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

There have been many videos showing flash on the web.  So it is and will be there, just the verson we have in 093 does not have it.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

What RIM should do in my opinion is give us more info and more access to things after signing an NDA. Palm/HP have been using this approach and it's pretty great. It allows developers to get access to things a lot earlier.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer

[ Edited ]

br14 wrote:

If you don't tell me anything I'll assume the worst case because I have no reason to think not to.

That seems pretty irrational, instead of simply assuming the most reasonable theory.  Why pick the best or the worst?  Makes no sense.

The most reasonable theory is that Flash will be perfectly well supported in the PB browser.  All signs and information to date point to it.  

If you insist on disbelieving that, by all means try the blog rant approach... it certainly worked for that other guy.  I really doubt you'll sway anyone, however, because the announcements are imminent, and timing probably pretty much cast in stone at this point.  They're certainly not going to change it just to make you happy. (I'm bothered by it all too, but this is just the way it is right now.)

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

@themarco:  This is available to you today.  You can sign up as a preffered partner for a nominal annual fee.  If you dont want to pay that fee, then you are a part of the general public.