Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Tablet Icons

The best that I have found is

http://www.istockphoto.com/search/text/icon/source/basic/?#4f571d2

Select "Illustrations" on the left to filter on EPS formatted sets.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

+1 for Inkscape and openclipart.org.  I've been investing lots of hours learning to use Inkscape, especially the bazillion shortcut keys that can make you five times as productive as just clicking.

I also sometimes use Google Image search with the "clipart" filter set, and include the word "free" in my search.  That's no guarantee it will be freely reusable, so you always still have to check the terms on any given site or image, but it's been working out.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

What is the deal with istock photos, do you pay a certain amount then you're allowed to use the photos/icons anyway, commerical or not?

Developer

You buy "credits" from istockphoto.com and depending on what you want to download, that will be deducted from your credits.  The more ellaborate the content, the more credits it will cost.  You can get a complete sheet of icons for around $30.  Your mileage will vary.  The quality of the EPS formatted icons are very, very good.  The EPS icons I used for the application icons are very, very good too.  Plus you can resize and recolor the icons as needed (button up vs. button down).  There is no way I could create these icons for this kind of price (assuming some personal labor rate).

Developer
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)
My Carrier: Regional

I'll throw a vote in for istockphoto.com as well. The site is easy to use and with even basic Photoshop skills you can manipulate the icons easily.

Highlighted
Developer

As people make their decision on make vs. buy on icons and such, keep in mind the preceived quality the end user will have on your application if the icons and images appear to have been made by a 3rd grader.  Quality of the look of the application is equated by the quality of the functionality by most end users.  So if you have a great app, but it looks like **bleep**, the user will think the app is **bleep** within the first 10 seconds of use.  You have only a few seconds to make a good impression to a potential customer.  Having cheap looking icons and such will diminish your success some.

And yes, many here do not have money to spend. So those will have to spend more of their time making their icons look as good as those done professionally.

Additionally, a large number of apps that "appear" to be poor for the entire platform may equate to some that there are not a lot of good apps available and therefore the platform is not good.  For example, when I browse App World for my BB phone, I skip over those apps whose applications icons dont look professional.  Might be a great app, but they lost me from just the professional look of the icon.

So put your best foot forward in marketing your apps in App World.  Good app icon, good screen shots, clear and helpful description.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I completely agree with you, first impressions are what it's all about

I think you've pretty much made my decision Smiley Happy

Thanks a lot Smiley Happy