Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Tablet OS on phones? [off topic]

Bridge is awesome, but with almost every other smart phone getting (or already having) mobile hotspot, I don't know if also owning a blackberry will be a necessity like RIM had planned.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
New Developer
My Device: Torch 9850/64GB PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Oh alright thats great to know. I only want to stay with Blackberry for the bridge to the Playbook. Ill have to look more into that then. 

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

QNX doesn't require a dual core processor.  Every single hands on video from the CES --- are done with a Playbook with a single Cortex A9 core enabled.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

@janetsa: but it helps Smiley Wink

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: o2 (de)

Some of you might even have tried QNX in the PlayBook emulator with only one enabled core (and even less than 1GB of memory).

It works. Not full-featured (e.g. CSS3 effects aren't animated for me with one core), but I guess a few software tweaks could fix that.

- - -
My approved apps @ App World
New Developer
My Device: Torch 9850/64GB PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Oh I didn't know that, Mike L made it seem like QNX required it. If thats the case than RIMM has to get there S*** together and get on this before they loose most of the market share to Apple and Google. I'm a die hard Blackberry guy but I am very close to changing to the dark side unless they start making phones that compete with the rest.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

The QNX core can (or could) run off of floppy disks... it's extremely compact.  No question it can run without a dual-core CPU.

But can we maybe just agree that any references to that are indirectly quoting Mike L's statements back in the fall, which effectively said something like "you'll see QNX on smartphones once dual-core CPUs are prevalent in the hardware"?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

As I said it earlier --- it was just a roundabout way to say that it will take at least that long to migrate to QNX.

http://www.fiercedeveloper.com/story/rims-transition-qnx-hinges-software-development-not-hardware/20...

By summer, when RIM launches the 3G and 4G Playbook --- it means that they have ported their wireless data protocols to QNX.  BUT they still haven't finished porting the voice calls portion at the point.  That's the timeline.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

@Brian, I understand not wanting to wait for a device. I can only say that if you truly wont wait on a storm, your should check out the torch. I love it and I didnt really think i could like a handheld more than I liked my Bold. Smiley Happy

Bill

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

janetsa wrote:

http://www.fiercedeveloper.com/story/rims-transition-qnx-hinges-software-development-not-hardware/20...

By summer, when RIM launches the 3G and 4G Playbook --- it means that they have ported their wireless data protocols to QNX.  BUT they still haven't finished porting the voice calls portion at the point.  That's the timeline.

Good find!  I'm taking that as supporting my timeline above, of a few months before they really talk much about it, and at least half a year (but not necessarily much longer) before we would actually see phones released with QNX.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!