Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Trail Apps Signing

So, I am about to starting uploading a "trial" version of my apps (the ones with try and buy).  So I added the small code to enforce a trial period, but of course I have to re-package and re-sign them, but I can only sign a unique version since the full version has already been signed and uploaded.  So now the trial version and the full version will have different versions.  Can anyone think of a work around to this?  Seems like a nightmare to have two stated versions.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Trail Apps Signing

I thought  saw someone mention that changing the "build number" (the "b" in x.y.z.b) would be enough to differentiate for signing.  Possibly the difference doesn't show up anywhere else though, in which case it might work for what you need.  Call it a long shot...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

The -app.xml <versionNumber> only allows numeric values.  <versionLabel> allows for alphanumerics, but since I have that commented out, I dont believe the signing process looks at that. 

Has anyone else uploaded a trial version?

Developer
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

I was going to just make a different new app and call it "MyApp Lite"  That would allow me to better control the feature set on the Lite version. I have git locally to keep them in sync. 

Developer

Does your "lite" version have the same application ID as the "full" version?  So if you install the full version, will it replace the lite version?

Developer
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

The Lite version will be a new App alltogether it can be installed side-by-side the full version. Basically I don't plan on using the Try&Buy option. I'll just submit two apps one Free and one Paid.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

tags07 wrote:

The Lite version will be a new App alltogether it can be installed side-by-side the full version. Basically I don't plan on using the Try&Buy option. I'll just submit two apps one Free and one Paid.

I've been considering this as well. A standalone free version and the paid full version. Might not happen for awhile though, I'm gonna see how things are with just a paid version.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Retired
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi folks,

Instead of doing a full version vs. lite verison, you might want to check out the payment sdk as discussed here

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/24075/Support_for_Payment_SDK_1443516_11.jsp

Developer

Re: Trial Apps Signing

It is not real clear how this will work with apps when the person tries to upgrade, etc.  The general feeling was that this should only be used to purchase additional resources for the app (levels, etc.), and not the app itself.

Examples (and code) in how this might work for a : try and buy scenario might go a long way.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I noticed in the App World Forum someone mentioned that doing separate Full and Lite apps, rather than using different versions under the same app id, meant that ratings weren't getting assigned the way one might like.

Using the Payment SDK approach might work better in that respect, but I think we'd definitely want to see a new feature in App World where you could more clearly indicate that a "Free" app was not actually free, but was a trial/lite version that would require in-app payment to be fully unlocked.

I wonder if it might not also be helpful to consider allowing certain Virtual Goods to be marked in some way that would allow them to be rated separately, maybe as a sort of sub-rating under the app.  Possibly also a "download" count, although some might like to keep that private.

Just some thoughts.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!