Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)
My Carrier: Regional

Tweening

So, I'm still working on my Swipe Down function, and I've been reading about tweening. I stumbled on GreenSock.  What do you guys think of the TweenLite? You can sample it here, check out some of the bounce features?  They also have a TweenNano.

While this isn't the "native" style menu, it's still kinda "spicey", and might just be overkill for the simple nav menu.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Tablet OS

Re: Tweening

[ Edited ]

It looks interesting, I might take a more in depth look at it soon.

From,
Noah NU
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

JohnPinkerton wrote:

So, I'm still working on my Swipe Down function...

I just posted an in-depth article on SWIPE_DOWN and SWIPE_START with an implementation of both, in case you're interested.  It turns out the latter one is somewhat more complicated than it appears at first blush (but in a follow-up I suggested a way to simplify things).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Please see my post in the SWIPE_DOWN thread for a warning to anyone who used the SWIPE_START functionality instead of SWIPE_DOWN.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: The one I'm on

[ Edited ]

Hey John,

I had briefly looked into tweening and notice that someone had mentioned those particular tweeners. The problem I had with those is that they're free to use if you're giving your away your app, however if you plan on selling your app then you'll have to buy a license from GreenSock  which may or may not be worth it for you.

Again i haven't played around with tweening much yet but I plan to so it may be worth the money.

Cheers,

David

Twitter: dmbproduction
Playbook App: Food Journal
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

The tweener class is built in, and in my experience works very well.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Developer

I'm using the greensock libraries extensively in my PlayBook app. And yeah, I paid for the commercial license (about $100, if I remember correctly) since my app isn't free.

Totally worth it to me.

--------
An addictive new puzzle game for PlayBook: Twystem HD
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Not Avaliable

The Greensock Libraries are the best. When I start creating non free apps, I cannot wait to pay them 100 dollars for a commercial licence. They are that good. My App, Disctract, uses it extensively, Tweening 50 loaders around the stage never looked so good! It actully sounds like a marketing ploy, but i am not, i just really dig using Greensock!

Mitch Ellis

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

[ Edited ]

Jack Doyle's TweenLite is great, but i'm not really a fan of the licensing fees if you're selling your app.  i realize there is a bit of hypocrisy in my statement, but at the same time i'm not selling my app for $150/year, nor do i plan on making enought with app sales to justify the cost of a tweening library.

if you can afford it, i say go for it.  you certainly will not be disappointed.  however, in my opinion, Tweener is a free alternative that is just as good.

Tweener Documentation

there are many other free tweening engines as well, like Grant Skinner's gTween

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I swear by tweenlite it gives you really nice solid tweens at a fraction of the processing power. If you really get into you can create some really nice looking stuff with it. I've bought a sub to it 3 years straight. I think it's totally worth it, you can take a look at his performance examples to see how much better it processes than native flash tweens or caurina. (Timeline is pretty garbage.)

You can use it without license if your app is free, otherwise you need a license.