Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

UI Design

Hello all,

Some one some tips or some links on how to design an ui for the tablet, currently if I'm correct there is no design editor for this purpose, whe have to give in the x and y coordinates of the controls right?

Kind regards,

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: UI Design

[ Edited ]

There is no GUI layout editor, and there probably wont be for some time.  Either do coordinate placing, or you can using containers to relatively place controls.  Nested containers can be done as well and will come in handy for tablet orientation changes.  Dont get too carried away with nested containers because that can introduce some performance issues.  Since the size of the tablet screen is not to ever change, absolute placement of controls (via x,y) is not too bad and keeps the code relatively thin.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

"The size of the tablet screen is not to ever change"...  Really?  Mike Lazaridis just did a presentation a few days back where he indicated that different sized tablets were being planned.  I doubt the plan is to use exactly the same resolution on all devices, regardless of physical size, though that is possible. 

Can you clarify how authoritative we should consider that claim to be?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

[ Edited ]

hey peter,

at the time of jtegen's post (several weeks ago), the official word was that the 7 inch tablet was going to be its size indefinitely. mike lazaridis was only recently quoted (i think last week) of the possibility of RIM doing a variation of sizes for the playbook. so his post is not inaccurate at the time of his post. even now its not official its just lizaridis's quote as evidence. so i think its safe to say that the 7 inch size and current resolution is going to be the initial size. (and judging by RIM's track record) its going to be that size for a while till the next update.

with that being said in the webcast its been said that when developing the playbook we should not use absolute values but use the container class for relative placement of objects in our applications. so stick with containers and relative positions vs absolute x's and y's.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Thanks for that reply, @JRab. Coincidentally, I just started listening to the 4th webcast (UI Guidelines) from Dec 2, where Prosanta said (around 5:30) that it's quite possible they may change the screen size in future, so "use relative layout" etc.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

About relative layouts....

It doesn't make sense to use them if I'm using a lot of fixed (i.e. non-vector) graphics in my app, does it?

Just having it be a relative layout won't help if I have to change every single graphic I've put in, correct?

Or maybe I should go with a relative layout for x and y but just never change the graphic size? I guess if we're only talking about a couple of inches it shouldn't be a huge deal, though not really optimal.

Relative layouts scare me. I can easily put together something that will work if the screen scales proportionally, but it just seems easier to go and hardcode values than to build something that will know how to adjust each component of the layout to make sense on whatever size screen (Even though I know that's bad practice).

Developer

All applications are different.  You have to make the best design decisions you can for your application and your end user.  For me, I am making the application static in the landscape position until I get a PB to get a better feel of how the dynamic layouts work.  It will take some effort on my part to re-align portions of my layout to work with landscape and portrait.

I would still suggest to try to keep thinks relative to one another because you will likely be faced with this decision at some later point.  But if speed of development for now coordinate based positioning, then continue on.  We're all going thru a little learning curve here and the end result might be very different from where we are today.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

Great advice Smiley Happy

I'll wait on playing around with relative layouts until I have a device in my hands and my app is accepted.

Developer
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

"For me, I am making the application static in the landscape position until I get a PB to get a better feel of how the dynamic layouts work.  It will take some effort on my part to re-align portions of my layout to work with landscape and portrait."

I am doing the same thing.  I haven't locked my submitted application to landscape mode because I didn't know how to do it until after I had submitted it...  and I didn't want to upload a new version and possibly screw up the review process.  

Anyone know if it is ok to upload changes before the decision is made on their end?

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer

I personally would wait.  Approval time is 10ish days.  Your way ahead of the free PB offer and way ahead of the commercial release.  Make the changes to your local copy, so once you get approved, you can then upload it right away (along with other enhancements too).

When someone gets approved, it would be nice to share (in a new/different thread)

1) Length of approval

2) BB comments if any that others might benefit from

3) Category of application

4) Length of re-approval

5) Reasons for being denied (if applicable)