Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Updated UI Guidelines (1.0 BETA)

Though the BlackBerry PlayBook UI Guidelines were released a long time ago they've now received an update with the release of the Beta3 SDK (0.9.2) stuff.  (Pretty confusing that it's "beta 3", "v0.9.2", and also listed as "1.0 BETA", depending on where you look...)

There are some errors and confusing stuff in some of those pages, but I still recommend reviewing it all for all developers here.  Even those who read it earlier may benefit as it has numerous new sections which suggest RIM's thinking and direction in some areas.

A couple of minor errors:

1. Make your application touch-centric: says you "do not have control over" the top-swipe, which is clearly wrong.  It also says some other gestures are "available for you to use as shortcuts to features in your application" yet that's clearly wrong when it refers to things like side-swipe to switch apps.
  2. one of the pages mentions a "flat hierarchy" which is funny, but definitely an oxymoron
  3. the Text fields page says you can close the keyboard by swiping down somehow, but I can't see that behaviour in the current simulator.  (There are other things on other pages that lead me to think a number of such comments, though they may apply to later releases, unfortunately don't apply to what we have yet.)

There's an interesting page on Designing application icons which I don't recall seeing before.  It talks about about the size, the shadow, etc.

Lastly, there's actually a link at the end of the document where we can apparently provide feedback on the documentation.  Good to know... better than posting here I suppose.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Updated UI Guidelines (1.0 BETA)

hey peter,

thanks for this thread. i didnt realize they had an official ui guidline up. seems like a good read Smiley Happy

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: Playbook

JRab wrote:

hey peter,

thanks for this thread. i didnt realize they had an official ui guidline up. seems like a good read Smiley Happy

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly, thanks peter!  Off to read the UI guidelines...

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Jeez, 40 pages of guidelines, and anot a single mention of recommended Font Sizes, or minimum hitAreas for buttons?

Developer

Font sizes are mentioned on one page though it's just to say use the default where possible.

Hit areas aren't explicitly mentioned here, but one page does talk about leaving a 15 pixel margin for safety.

Anyway, it's a work in progress... and they did give that link for feedback, if you wish.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

peter9477 wrote:

Font sizes are mentioned on one page though it's just to say use the default where possible.

Hit areas aren't explicitly mentioned here, but one page does talk about leaving a 15 pixel margin for safety.

Anyway, it's a work in progress... and they did give that link for feedback, if you wish.

Yep I sent them the feedback.

Saying to use the default font is not helpful, we need to use a variety of font sizes in any application.

What we need to know is what is the minimum recommended font size, since we don't have the device to look at, we have no way of telling what's going to be readable...

Developer

Printing a screenshot scaled to the right dimensions should be a pretty good approximation of how things will look.  If I were working near the lower threshold, I doubt I'd respect a "recommended minimum" anyway.  It seems it's more likely to be too conservative for my tastes, or too extreme, than to match my own judgment exactly.

Now, rather than following RIM's guide (or lack thereof) on that, perhaps what would work better is for us to start a thread on just that topic, and share code and opinions about what sizes work best for different situations.  Then, once we have a degree of consensus (and just maybe some people with real devices to compare with our printouts and gut feels), we could suggest including our own guidance as part of the official UI Guidelines in some fashion.

Developer

It's all going to depend on the DPI of the device, and the quality of the screen, scaling down in photoshop is not really a good option. It doesn't replicate the viewing experience on a super high DPI screen...

For android it was 18pt font min, 22pt for UI elements, with a min 70px hit area, and those guidelines's worked well enough.