Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: 9860/PlayBook/Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Plus GSM

Vendor Portal Guidlines - airtime charge warning applicable or not?

"The application must alert users to any potential airtime usage charges, if applicable;" - note from Vendor Portal Guidlines. If application for Playbook is downloading data from Internet should it warn user about potential airtime usage charges? If yes - how? Note in about, notice in app description, alert view with confirmation request?

Anybody have some experience at this point?

Found my post helpfull? Like it! It solves your trouble? Help others and accept it as solution. Search before asking.
My apps: Secret Cod3s | Should my tablet be banned?
--
Jakub Nietrzeba
PGS Software S.A.
Your reliable partner in Poland - IT Outsourcing - BlackBerry, iPhone, Web and Standalone applications
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Vendor Portal Guidlines - airtime charge warning applicable or not?

Thank you so much for posting this.  I have 3 apps that this impacts.

I will prompt them with an alert at the first run of the application and have them acknowledge this, else the application quits.  If acknowledged, store information so not to ask everytime.

Developer
My Device: Playbook

I would make a startup alert ( or splash screen ) with a check box saying "show at startup?" or something.  Until they change the check box it will show every time they start your application.  Once the user changes the check box change it will update a setting in an SQLite db.  That way they have specifically acknowledged the alert.

Very close to what jtegen said.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Good catch...

---------------------
a) If you like my response/post, please provide a Kudo (white star to the left).
b) If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.
----------------------
Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

Probably worth checking the device they're using before putting up an annoying splash screen.

If they're using the Wi-Fi only Playbook, no point in constantly warning them about non-existant fees.

Definitely put a notice in the app description though.

Developer

It would not be constant.  Just once the first time they use the application.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@RottenOgre, assuming they access the net through a tethered Blackberry phone, even the WiFi-only one would be using airtime charges, at least indirectly.  Probably safer to put up a fairly generic warning about using network bandwidth and possibly airtime charges, to cover all the bases.

If RIM insists on each app putting in its own warnings for this sort of thing, it's going to be messy and confusing for users.  I'd suggest some support built-in somehow, as with Androids and the app store downloads where the user basically acknowledges that a given app wants access to a specific set of features (e.g. contact info, network access, etc).  Too bad that wasn't implemented earlier and they're leaving it to us to handle.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

Ah, good thinking.

I was just imagining the way I would use it, forgot about the tethering aspect Smiley Happy

Developer

[ Edited ]

You mean something like this?

AirtimeAlertDialog.jpg

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@jtegen, if you fixed the spelling of "usage" (both places) and removed the redundancy with "may be" and "potential", that looks good for a start.

I'd also remove the period after the "I Acknowledge" even though it's technically a sentence.  Also the two buttons aren't consistent: Quit instead of "I Quit".

Is the icon freely reusable? (If so, do you have a source link?)

Last issue: the button ordering is not consistent with other dialogs in the PlayBook.  Some OSes do the positive action on the left, some on the right.  It looks (from the alert dialog) as though on the PlayBook we should be following the convention of having the Cancel/Quit buttons on the right side.

Lastly: thanks for sharing. Smiley Happy

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!