Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

VideoPlayer fails after second playback

Hey there,

I built an app that uses the VideoPlayer to display short video clips.  It has been published as "Baby Sign Language" in the app store for the Playbook.  

The problem I am running into is: I can only play two videos.  The third video shows up black.  Every video after that is black as well.

My View is rather simple.  It includes the VideoPlayer component and sets the source to the video from the data.  I push a new View on the stack for every new video I want to play.  I have tried setting the destructionPolicy to "never" but that didn't work.

This does not happen when I run on the desktop or when I run the same app on Android.  It only fails on the Playbook hardware.

Any ideas?

Developer

Re: VideoPlayer fails after second playback

I am experiencing the same problem. I came here hoping to find a solution. I am glad atleast that someone else is having the same problem. Maybe we can get some answers.

My app completely hangs when after the 2nd, sometimes 3rd video.

It is a big issue because my app is a video player.

Hope someone has some insight.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

Contributor

Very simple.  A VideoPlayer inside of a BorderContainer: 

http://pastie.org/2001266

Developer

I have tried virtually everything I am capable of to figure this out, and even though it is consistently reproduceable, I am unable to get any insight.

In the end, I gave up and went with the QNX media player. I don't think the flex videoPlayer is ready for the Playbook, especially since it is not optimized for mobile. I thought it was only because of the interface, but I created my own player controls and still have problems.

I highly recommend that you switch to the QNX media player, it is a lot more solid. I am still experimenting with the MediaControl's, but I will definitely stick with this. It is the only thing that works.

Contributor

So, can you embed the QNX video player inside of a Flex View?

Highlighted
Developer

You can, but not directly.

Use a SpriteVisualElement added to the view via MXML and then via AS you can start adding the player. Everything will need to be done via AS. Check the example here: http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/airapi/1.0.0/qnx/media/MediaPlayer.html