Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base
Accepted Solution

Webstick with Playbook... Drivers?

Hi,

is it possible to use a 3G usb webstick with the playbook?

I'm asking this because there are playbooks with wifi access only, which is fine,  but sometimes the situation is that you have access to a 3G network but no wireless lan in your place (especially on vacations).

lrrm

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Webstick with Playbook... Drivers?

Such a device would require a driver, which is unlikely to be available in a QNX version.

In any case, although we believe the hardware in the PlayBook technically supports USB peripherals (via "host mode" or what is called "USB OTG" (On The Go)), nothing has been announced or confirmed with respect to this so it's extremely unlikely to be available at launch.

We're also not certain yet that the USB connector provided is the one needed for USB OTG, so we'd need that, and full software support, to work in general, and a QNX driver for some "3G USB webstick" for this to work.

Your best bet for the situation you describe would be to use some 3g phone as a wireless hotspot, and route your PlayBook traffic through that.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: 9700 | 9900 | PlayBook | Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Many :)

short anser: no

long answer: no, lots of things to deal with; a version with a 3-3.9G modem will be shipping this summer.

if you can't wait til sumer for the 3g equipped versions, use a different wifi providing device like a mifi hotspot or tether to your BB like i'll be doing.

- - - - - - - - - -
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base

hmmmm... ok, I'll have a look how to use a mobile phone as modem. I'm not sure if my old nokia is capable of this or my girlfriends samsung... I could get a BB device from a friend, but I'm not sure if it's new enough...

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line