Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: While we wait for shipping info

(I believe it's called "Presenter" mode, by the way.)

Note that this mode works only with apps that have special support for it, via APIs that we haven't heard about yet (so we don't know if they're available to AIR apps, for example).  I think the only ones mentioned so far are the video player, and the PowerPoint app from DataViz.  From the sounds of it, there are no limitations on what you could display on either screen (relative to what you could display on these screens normally, that is).

Certainly games could be written which would use this to provide a sophisticated controller on the PlayBook's own screen, with the primary game content displayed on HDMI only.  (Such a game could allow a one-screen mode where it simplified the controls and overlaid them on the game content, for cases where you don't have the external display.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

XoomMan, your use of the term "splitting" and how you describe it there imply that any two apps could be opened, one displayed on the PB screen and the other on HDMI.

I don't believe that mode of operation has been confirmed yet, so if you have a source for it please post a link. 

The only non-mirrored mode that has been described, as far as I know, is the Presenter mode, which requires the app support it specially.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: verizon

[ Edited ]

peter9477 wrote:

(I believe it's called "Presenter" mode, by the way.)

I'm not sure what to call it now. An interviewer said Mike Lazaridis called it HDMI splitting mode and that's what I going by. Crackberry calls it presentation mode.

Developer

[ Edited ]
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I can't believe there's a difference between mini and micro hdmi. I bought the wrong one!
Developer

EraserX wrote:
I can't believe there's a difference between mini and micro hdmi. I bought the wrong one!

LOL I know I have a bunch of minis but no micros.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Sprint

"A mini HDMI looks like a smaller type A connector, whereas a micro HDMI cable looks like a mini usb plug. Oh and also, a micro HDMI only works with mobile and smart phones capable of transmitting in high definition."

(Source) Mini HDMI vs Micro HDMI

You say mini HDMI,

And I say micro HDMI...

At least they didn't make it a proprietary connector and stuck to one standard.

Developer

XoomMan wrote:
I'm not sure what to call it now. An interviewer said Mike Lazaridis called it HDMI splitting mode and that's what I going by. Crackberry calls it presentation mode.

Thanks for the references.  At the Dev Day in Toronto, Mike Kirkup referred to it as Presenter Mode so I'm sticking with that until I see something more official.  I can't find any written use of the term from RIM yet.

There's actually been a whole thread about this already, noting how it's not (yet) a general-purpose "any two apps on separate screens" feature.

Developer

Hey Peter here's another video calling it "Presenter Mode". Like you said "this mode works only with apps that have special support for it, via APIs" but it is available now. And it's in PowerPoint.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: o2 (de)

As a preparation I ordered some stuff from China:

DealExtreme's free shipping isn't really fast, but RIM is neither, so I guess it will be a tight race... Smiley Wink
- - -
My approved apps @ App World