Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

White Blank Screen When loading app on Playbook.

[ Edited ]

I'm really frustrated with my Blackberry Playbook app, I have everything packaged and signed and when I run the app on the simulator I get a white Black screen, thats it the app will not load -.- I even tred Submitting my app and this is their reply:

Dear App World Vendor, 

While processing your application, The Quiz 2.0 for 1.0, for inclusion into BlackBerry App World I encountered the following issue that require your attention before we are able to continue. 

After installing your application on the BlackBerry PlayBook, we get a white blank screen. The application will not load. 

Once these issues have been corrected I will be able to complete the necessary steps that will allow this application to be posted in BlackBerry App World. If at any time you have questions regarding the above issue please don’t hesitate to contact us at BlackBerryAppWorldRequests@rim.com. 

Regards, 

I am really frustrated, I dont know what to do. This is my TheQuiz-App.Xml, if it helps.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<application xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/2.6">
    <id>TheQuiz</id>
    <versionNumber>1.0.0</versionNumber>
    <filename>The Quiz 2.0</filename>
    <description>The Quiz 2.0 is a quiz game</description>
    <name>The Quiz 2.0</name>
    <copyright>AGZ</copyright>
    <initialWindow>
        <content>TheQuiz.swf</content>
        <systemChrome>standard</systemChrome>
        <transparent>false</transparent>
        <visible>true</visible>
        <fullScreen>false</fullScreen>
        <autoOrients>false</autoOrients>
        <aspectRatio>landscape</aspectRatio>
        <renderMode>auto</renderMode>
        <maximizable>false</maximizable>
        <minimizable>true</minimizable>
        <resizable>false</resizable>
    </initialWindow>
    <customUpdateUI>false</customUpdateUI>
    <allowBrowserInvocation>false</allowBrowserInvocation>
</application>

Here is my blackberry-tablet.xml:

<qnx>
  <initialWindow>
    <systemChrome>none</systemChrome>
    <transparent>false</transparent>
  </initialWindow>
  <publisher>AGZ</publisher>
  <category>core.games</category>
  <icon>
    <image>IconFile86x86.png</image>
  </icon>
  <splashscreen>splash.jpg</splashscreen>
</qnx>

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out, Thank you in advance.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: White Black Screen When loading app on Playbook.

Has your app ever launched correctly in the simulator?

Do you have this code:

stage.nativeWindow.visible = true;

in the constructor of your application's main class?  If not, try adding it.

Trusted Contributor

@UberschallSamsara  sorry, im a newbie so not I dont really understand what you mean, my app was made in Flash CS5.5 and I have very little actionscript 3.0 code (this is basically my first real app so...). Can you elaborate a little? My app hasn't launched correctly in the sumulator. Thank You for your reply.

Developer

Sorry but I haven't used Flash to create a PlayBook app so I won't know where to dig in to your issue.  I'd recommend searching both the dev forums here as well as the web for "PlayBook Flash tutorial" and variants, to find something that will walk you through start to finish with a basic Hello World app to verify your setup.

Developer
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base

without a playbook it's difficult... I would recommend you to get a playbook and test it step by step. take out every function and insert them one after another.

or show us, what happens in your file... this will help to detect the error... some actionscript would be helpful...

or provide the bar file, unsigned, maybe someone can test it for you on a playbook

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Developer

[ Edited ]

Here is an old blog post that might help:

Building BlackBerry PlayBook Apps with Flash Professional CS5

Note that this is from November 2010 and the current AIR version has incremented several times since then, so update your Flash Pro AIR extension appropriately.  Also, the specific libs you have to add to your path in Flash Pro have moved around in the SDK directory structure IIRC so you'll have to poke around for them.  This is just one example that I happened to remember from prior to PlayBook launch.  You might be able to adapt it but if not try to find a newer such tutorial.

Trusted Contributor

@UberschallSamsara thanks for the link, but I'm not using Flash Builder at all, so the post is not exactly like what im doing. i was wondering if you have a Playbook. If you do would you able to test my app if I send you my .bar file, It would be a BIG help if you could.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

I wrote a KB article on how to do this a few weeks ago. Check it out here - http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/How-to-Create-a-BlackBerry-10-AIR-Appli...

Let me know if you run into any problems.

Note - These steps say for BlackBerry 10 but are the same for PlayBook. The only difference is that your icon size would be 86x86 vs 150x150 and your stage size should be 1024x600 vs 768x1280.

Cheers,

Dustin 

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
Developer

AGZ123 wrote:

@UberschallSamsara thanks for the link, but I'm not using Flash Builder at all, so the post is not exactly like what im doing. i was wondering if you have a Playbook. If you do would you able to test my app if I send you my .bar file, It would be a BIG help if you could.

The link was for a short blog post on using Flash Pro CS5; he just references a path that is the typical install path when using Flash Builder:

"I will be using the default install path of c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4\sdks\blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.0 (Windows) and /Application/Adobe Flash Builder 4/sdks/blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.0 (Mac) in this article but just swap the path to the sdk with your local computer specific location."

Trusted Contributor

Okay guys bad news, I got a reply from BB  and it got denied AGAIN (this is like the 5th time I think), but I think I found the problem this time:  I used Sir SDK 3.3 and I just read that 3.1 is the latest supported Air SDK, so could that be why I'm getting the white screen? I have one more question: If I set Air to 2.5 in Flash, and I use AIR SDK 3.1 with the Blackberry Tablet OS SDK, will that make a difference? Thanks for you help so far guys!