Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Why is signing THIS HARD?!

Alright, I know there's been about a million topics about signing, and for good reason, but I still can't get this going. I've tried FB, command line, you name it. All I can do is post my configuration and hope someone makes the magical suggestion.

I'm running Windows 7. If I try to package/sign in command line, it can't find my JVM (I'd like to avoid uninstalling/reinstalling Java AGAIN, since it took so long to get FB to recognize it the first time). If I try to sign in FB, it just gives me a useless unsigned bar. Maybe my xml files are wrong. Can anyone post examples of what they have in their app.xml and blackberry-tablet.xml files? I have some harmless warnings in my code (duplicate variable definitions). Would warnings cause the signing to fail? Any help is appreciated.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Why is signing THIS HARD?!

hey golden joe,

the java error can be taken care of by adding the path to your java jre to the windows path variable via System > Advanced Settings > Environmental Variables.

a more detailed explanation can be found here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/path.xml

after that make sure that the blackberry stuff is in the path as well if you are doing the shorthand version and not the full path to the blackberry-* tools.

also make sure the version in your -app.xml is something higher than 0.0.0. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

I also want to add that the signing servers went down today for maintanence at around 9:00 PM EST. Until they say otherwise, assume they are still down. so that could also be part of your problem.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer

It is neither of those things. I already have Java in my path, and I've been unable to sign for a week.

Developer

Gah...now I'm getting this error, after I added debug=false to the compiler settings:

See details for more information.
  Encountered errors or warnings while building project Bounce.as.
    unable to open 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder Burrito\eclipse\plugins\com.adobe.flexbuilder.flexunit.nl1_4.5.0.287807\nl\en_US,\flexunitframework\locale\version4locale'

See details for more information.  Encountered errors or warnings while building project Bounce.as.    unable to open 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder Burrito\eclipse\plugins\com.adobe.flexbuilder.flexunit.nl1_4.5.0.287807\nl\en_US,\flexunitframework\locale\version4locale'

Developer
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

It looks like there's a comma trailing your locale there - "en_US," instead of "en_US". Is that in a manifest somewhere? I always get stuff like that happening when I'm typing XML tags manually Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: -

Hello,

once you have your bar file built properly (that is without debug mode on in the manifest file), you have basically 5 commands to execute with the BlackBerry "signer" Suite. (That is for your first signing process). Each command should be input precisely and any errors can occur if you don't use stricktly the proper commands.

Moreover, the "signer" error messages are quite talky: try to access the file specified, you'll see you cannot (because of the extra comma as erasmus spotted), so the "signer" cannot neither.

Separator in the compiler options is " " (space) with option starting with "-" (dash) (there is no comma).

So it's not that hard, but you have to be accurate, it's not magic. (well it's quite magic a little.... Smiley Happy )

JC
Developer

Ah, that's probably what's causing the latest error. I added the comma in because I saw it written like that in one of the posts I found while searching, and figured maybe I wasn't compiling in debug mode. I'll take the comment out, but that still leaves the question of why it doesn't sign properly. Could anyone take a look at my xml files if I post them?

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

I tend to use FlashBuilder 'export release build' command, but to NOT let FB do the code-siging. Then I exec the 2 DOS commands to actually do the signing. FB is a bit buggy when it comes to signing, but seems to at least package the files up properly.

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Developer

You mean that you uncheck the "Enable Digital Signing" box, or choose "Export an intermediate AIRI file"?