Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Win 7 Firewall settings for debugging via USB

Hi,

I usually do my debugging over WIFI, which works fine, but as I'm travelling right now I'd like to be able to debug via USB too, which I can currently only get to work when I switch my firewall completely off. When the firewall is on, I can deploy to my PlayBook via USB, but the debugger connection always fails.

FlashBuilder tells me to open port 7935, but unfortunately in Windows 7 you have to specify more details (inbound/outbound, TCP/UDP,) which I'm not sure about:

There are already a few potentially relevant inbound rules that FlashBuilder itself has configured:

- allow FB to use TCP on any port

- allow FB to use UDP on any port

- allow any program to use TCP on 7935

I have tried adding an outbound rule for TCP via 7935 - but it makes no difference

Following another post on a related topic, I also tried adding rules for 8000 and 443, but so far no luck.

Does anybody know more about what kind of rule I would need or how I could track where exactly the blocked connection is *trying* to get through, so that I can open it up then ...?

Thanks

Anna

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Win 7 Firewall settings for debugging via USB

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your firewall. I have never had any troubles connecting to usb, and have tested on a few different setups. 

One thing I can recommend is to make sure that you have the latest version of Desktop Software running while your PlayBook is connected. You can download it here.

If that doesn't help please let us know what firewall you're dealing with as well as if you have any antivirus software installed.

Regards,

Dustin

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
Developer

Hi Dustin,

thainks for looking into this!  I just installed the latest Desktop Software from your link & tried with it running, but no change. The app starts up on the PlayBook alright, but then asks for the 'correct' IP address of the debug host. But I know that 169.254.0.2 *is* correct, because when I turn my firewall off, it works fine.

The firewall is just the built in Windows Firewall that comes with Windows 7 (64bit).

Thanks

Anna

My app : Get set - Get up!   Get ready for the snooze revolution.

Retired

Ok I have only tested with antivirus software installed. Both Symanctec and McAfee I've had no problems with. 

Have you tried 169.254.0.1? This is the default IP for USB. 

If you go to debug configurations and click the configure device button, select USB and click "Debug Token Details" are you able to get a connection with your PlayBook?

Regards,

Dustin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer

hm, I don't have the option to explicitely select USB, nor anythink like "Debug Token Details", which makes me think you're probably looking at FlashBuilder 4.6, right?   I'm still on 4.5 ...  - so maybe I should finally make that update and see if it solves the problem

(I am using the default IP (169.254.0.1) for the PlayBook, which then it assigns 169.254.0.2 to the connected PC, the debug host. I can actually see the PlayBook listed as a DHCP server when I do  ipconfig /all  - so I think that's all working ... )

Anyway, I'll look into the FlashBuilder 4.6 update - I just kept putting it off ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it ..."), but I guess this issue would be one more incentive :-)

Thanks for your help

Anna

Retired

Oh ok, ya hopefully FB 4.6 will solve the issues you're running into Smiley Happy

Just to note FB 4.6 is one of the system requirements for the latest SDK - https://developer.blackberry.com/air/documentation/ww_air_getting_started/Using_Adobe_FB_ms_1965666_...

Highlighted
Developer

ah, then it's definitely time for the update!  I just always shy away from the inevitable downtime and tearing my hair out ... but thanks for the link, hopefully that should make it fairly painless :-)