Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Word on 10.2 Beta?

I read that as "we cannot incorporate all mobile devices unique features into a baseline API, so anything unique to desktop and mobile devices should be done in an ANE". Which seems obvious. And other then performance, security, and bugs, what else is really needed in AIR? Other than possibly sensor APIs. It has been a very stable, cross-platform environment for many years.
Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

jtegen wrote:
Where did you hear the Adobe is stopping development of AIR? Flash on mobile browsers, yes. AIR, have not seen anything that supports that.

This hasn't been stated outright, but to my perspective it appears as if all Adobe employes who had previously been working on AIR have all switched to Cordova based projects...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

not just Cordova-based, actually JavaScript in general, even suggesting AS3-to-JS-converters... :/ *disappointed*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

OTOH, Ecmascript is evolving (slowly) to include more "traditional"/"classic" OOP features ... but these things take time.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

I just want to chime in here. AIR and Flash are not dead. With that being said here are some hard truths:

- Most of the Adobe Evangelists that used to focus on Flash/AIR are now focusing on JS

- The next version of AS3 (AS3Next) has been cancelled. You can read the Adobe roadmap, as well as a few community members reactions here and here.

- When I was at Max last month Adobe was very quiet about Flash/AIR. I was speaking with Lee Brimelow at the Adobe booth and while he was sad that he was now focusing on JS vs AS3 the AIR runtime is still very powerful and you can still do a lot with it. 

BlackBerry will continue to support AIR as a part of the OS for the forseeable future and you will see that coming with AIR 3.5 in 10.2. I have some content planned on things like profiling with Scout starting this month and continuing for the rest of the year. If you missed it we just released our experience app framework for AIR to make it easier to develop BlackBerry 10 applications. 

With all that being said (and constantly being reiterated by Adobe evangelists as well) is that it's not a bad thing to have a few tools in your toolbox. I recommend to everyone to have a look at WebWorks and Cascades.

Personally I've been researching HTML5/JS the past few years. I recommend checking out TypeScript which adds things like classes and types to JS. Recently I've been gettting into C# and Unity3D developent. C# is very similar to AS3 and is easy to get into. Frameworks like Futile for Unity3D excite me. It's also great now that Unity3D is free for their basic version (which is all you need for 2D development).

It was hard initially for me as I've been a Flash developer for the past 10 years but it's a good move career wise to know other technologies and use the right one for the job. 

I will still use AIR as it's what I'm most comfortable with but if I need to whip up something quick I'll use HTML5 or if I want to create a game I'll use Unity3D. 

Dustin

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
Developer

Thanks for the info.

Been fighting to decide which direction to do: Cascades of unstructured JS/C++/slots or unstructured WebWorks.

Going back to a markup language (QML) seems like a step back to that of leaving MXML for pure-AS3.

Here to, I have 10+ years of AS knowledge.  Prior to that, 7+ years of C/C++.  AS was a perfect blend of OOP without the pointers.  Personally hate JS (5 years of that too).  People have been trying to improve it, but it is still not a OOP.  TypeScript has promise.

Leaning towards pure-Qt (OO) and avoid the QML.  Personally, I hate signals/slots architecture.  Too much setup to do something simple, but I guess there is no choice with it.  Any pure Qt/BB10 sample app that people know about, might help in the decision making.

At least we probably have plenty of time to convert over.

Sad.

Retired

I feel the same way. I really like the option to code once and deploy everywhere so when I have time I'm thinking of starting a pure code UI framework for creating mobile apps in C# for Unity3D. I have a short attention span and technology evolves like crazy so I'm hoping someone beats me to it Smiley Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

jtegen wrote:
I read that as "we cannot incorporate all mobile devices unique features into a baseline API, so anything unique to desktop and mobile devices should be done in an ANE". Which seems obvious. And other then performance, security, and bugs, what else is really needed in AIR? Other than possibly sensor APIs. It has been a very stable, cross-platform environment for many years.

Agreed that Adobe can't/shouldn't have to chase down all the different unique mobile platform features.  However, to the extent that the platform vendors copy each other to maintain feature parity, and use the same SoC/MEMS component/etc. other silicon vendors, it's reasonable to expect that future platform features will have *some* commonality.  And it makes more sense/convenience for developers if that common subset of platform features is under mobile AS3 API's vs. being fragmented across per-platform ANE's that might have different AS3 interfaces.

As an aside - for folks using Flash Builder, are you able to set breakpoints in your AS3 code for debug when your project includes ANE's?  Since I use the commandline tools, and since there is apparently/supposedly a bug w/the flavor of fdb that comes w/those tools, I am not.  All attempts to set breakpoints on projects w/ANE's (which is pretty much any AS3 project on BB10, due to QNXSkins.ane) give me an error message about "no executable code at that line number" even though I've triple checked that I was attempting to set a breakpoint on an executable line.

Developer

How about taking AS3 code and compiling it into Cascades/NDK?
Retired

Get the 10,2 beta now! - https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/blackberry10devalpha/devalpha_update.html

A new version of the BlackBerry AIR SDK is also available - https://developer.blackberry.com/air/download/ You can read the SDK release notes here - https://developer.blackberry.com/air/documentation/bb10/bb10_air_sdk_rn_3.2gold.html