Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: n/a

You gotta be kidding me - multiple issues with Adobe AIR getting started guide and hello world doesn't build

Bit of a vent. I'm a very seasoned C++/Java developer, with many different IDEs, but I have never before seen a "hello world" guide so riddled with flaws, errors and omissions. I bought into the recent RIM push for development on the playbook platform and came very close to deleting the tools and skipping it all, on the logic that, if this is the quality of the introduction, what can the rest of the tools and support possibly be like?

For example, the tools setup guide, https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/air/, makes no mention whatsoever about needing a VMWare install for the simulator. That's a pretty big miss. You have to go into the hello world tutorial before there is any mention of VMWare.

Furthermore, when you finally figure out that you do indeed need VMWare to get things rolling, the only instructions you get on settings is this great line repeated in several locations: "If you have not already done so, use the deployment setup wizard to configure your development environment.". That's it. That's another pretty big miss.

Then the VMWare tablet image can't connect to the internet, and the deployment wizard cannot "automatically detect" the settings. By casting a wide net and eventually finding an external site mentioning to try Bridged instead of NAT networking connection. Now the simulated tablet can connect to google, but still no autoconnect, and what the heck is the password? The simulated tablet security->password screen is a blank page. Get the deployment wizard to work by adding the tablet development ip address (from the menu bar - the one in the config screens is different for some reason and does not work) and an empty password. Not sure at this point why there is a password field for the simulator at all.

By now I'm strongly doubting that anyone at RIM is actually verifying any of these starter documents, and just how seriously they want new developers for the Playbook.

Now I've got a simulated tablet that seems to work, time to test my AIRHelloWorld app, which suspiciously has a lot of line error markers in the cut-and-pasted source code. Go through the steps to set up a debug config, press debug, and the build fails! Hello world fails to build. 

At this point I'm pretty close to saying "screw it". Anyone at all know what's going on here?

import qnx.display.IowWindow

seems to be ok, but

import qnx.dialog.DialogButtonProperty; 
  import qnx.dialog.PromptDialog;
  import qnx.display.IowWindow;
  import qnx.fuse.ui.buttons.LabelButton;
  import qnx.fuse.ui.text.Label;

cannot be found. This of course leads to unresolved symbols, and the build blows up.

Any ideas?

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: n/a

Re: You gotta be kidding me - multiple issues with Adobe AIR getting started guide and hello world doesn't build

Partially solved. Following the exact steps of the tutorial, the path set automatically is incorrect.

qnx.display is included by the qnx-air.swc included when you add the platform specific libraries to the library path (ActionScript Build Packaging->BlackBerry Tablet OS).

However it also includes frameworks\libs\qnx-screen. This is not a valid directory, and you must include frameworks\libs\qnx to pull in qnx.dialog (qnxdevice.swc) and qnx.fuse.ui (qnxui.swc). Also if these must be set to merge, not to external or the app will not run on the tablet.

Once again I am just stunned by the shoddy quality of this tutorial.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)
My Carrier: Regional

Re: You gotta be kidding me - multiple issues with Adobe AIR getting started guide and hello world doesn't build

I'm not sure why you're having so many issues getting up and going. I was able to get in relatively quickly last year when the documentation was far from where it is now.

I would suggest reinstalling the AIR SDK, make sure you choose the options to integrate with Flash Builder.