Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

app Profiling

Does anyone have a good way to profile a flash builder app for playbook with qnx. I need to profile an app really desperately but I can only do it on desktop and without any qnx support, this is completely useless to me, I would prefer to profile directly on the device but I can't find anything helpful.

Thanks.

Show your support and click on the like button when you see a post that was helpful.
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: app Profiling

I've been able to profile in FlashBuilder on the desktop as an AIR application (uses QNX controls). Are you trying to profile frame rate, and memory or stack calls?
Developer

[ Edited ]

I know I have a memory leak somwhere in my code, I noticed memory usage going up while the app is idle. What I need to do profile the memory, to show me which variables or methods are chewing it up, I have over 15,000 lines of code so going through line by line to find where the leak is isn't practical.

Show your support and click on the like button when you see a post that was helpful.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Check this out:

Using the profiling tools in Flash Builder to improve the performance of Flash Professional projects

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer

thanks for finding that for me, the problem here is the application is already pretty much done in Flash Builder so there is no Fla to import. I also tried creating my own profile as thing for Air for desktop but it just crashes as soon as it gets to a qnx import.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PlayBook

There was a talk on DevCon about profiling air apps. If it does not use qnx API's you can profile on desktop.

If it does you can still profile but you have to use API's to dump the data.

Developer

I have commented out all qnx code and profiled it on desktop, I found that it uses twice the memory than it does on the device and it doesnt show the memory usage increase while idle like it does on the device. I also tested it on the device without qnx just in case but the numbers still crept up... no idea why, anyone have any clues?