Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

app signing, bb10, app update questions

Hi,

My first game, The Angel's Cube, is available for the Playbook on Blackberry App World. I have an update for the game and also a second game, Rynglets, ready to go. I have a few questions that I'm having trouble finding the answers to and hope someone can help.

First issue I'm having is that when submitting an update, it appears to me that the bar file is submitted separately from the app meta data. I went ahead and submitted a new bar and also changed the meta data but I'm worried about one being approved before the other. Is there any way to have the bar and the meta data changes approved together?

Second problem is that RIM updated the first version of my game to support BB10. In retrospect I probably should not have allowed them to do so since I am not prepared to support updates for the BB10 version at this time. I'd like to support the BB10, but I have some questions. Do the BB10 SDK and the Playbook SDK coexist peacefully in FlashBuilder? Is there an easy way to switch a project from one SDK to the other without too much trouble? Are there plans to unify the two SDKs in the future? How do you avoid conflicts when signing both a BB10 and Playbook bar using the same certificates?

Third, as I mentioned I have a new game, Rynglets, that is ready to be published. I have questions about signing it. Do I use the same certificates I set up for my first game to sign the new game? If so, are there any gotchas that I need to watch out for such as version # conflicts or anything like that? I know that when signing a single app that you can't sign the same version number twice. I'd like to avoid any of those kinds of issues when signing a second app.

Thanks for any help,

Ken Tylman

Ken Tylman
Grim Guy Gameworks
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: app signing, bb10, app update questions

Hi Ken:

1) You cannot submit the BAR file and related vendor portal assets and descriptions at the same time.  They get reviewed by different people at different times.  RIM has mentioned that they hope to package these things up in the future.  App World will have a big changed for BB10, which we have been told to occur around January.

2) Yes you can continue to work on PlayBook apps with 2.1 and BB10 apps with 3.0.  Best to create a different workspace and set the SDK path to the correct RIM SDK for each workspace.  I do this all the time.

3) Yes, use the same key.  Each app has a unique app id.  New released need to have the app's version or build number incremented.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Thanks for your help, jtegen. With your help, the latest version of The Angel's Cube in App World now supports Playbook and BB10.

I decided to go with just a single workspace and change the SDK path in the preferences for each build. For my next game I believe I'm going to move towards a command line make setup. I'm building 6 different versions of each app now (12 with lite versions). They all have slight variations for all the stores and it is becoming tedious to make all of the little changes for each one. I'd kill for a native preprocessor in Flash Builder for actionscript and xml files right now.

My second app, Rynglets, has been waiting for approval since before Christmas. Since it was submitted I found and fixed an annoying bug. I appended a note to the CR asking them to deny the approval so I could resubmit with the bug fix, but there hasn't been any movement on it at all. Is there a more effective way to ask them to deny an app submission?

Thanks again,

Ken

Ken Tylman
Grim Guy Gameworks
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

You can PM one of the RIM people in the App World forum. They are back logged and I have had a BB10 pending for about the same amount of time. The back log will increase since the 11th is approaching.