Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: tablet
My Carrier: unknown
Accepted Solution

app submission

how do you find out what catagories are available for the app?

This is probably pretty ovious but I don't see it.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: app submission

what do you mean by categories? in the vendor portal or the blackberry-tablet.xml file?

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Elena has given that information in other posts.  From the sounds of it, if your app doesn't belong in core.games or core.media, you should leave the category out of your blackberry-tablet.xml file, and the app will show up in All (as all apps do).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

ok - i can remove this from the xml file.

what about on the vendor portal?

just as a side note: I tried to search catagories even befor posting this but nothing was taged for that search term.

This is also getting very confusing, because the specs keep changing

Developer

in the vendor portal, the first page where it asks for your product name, it will ask for your category as well. you can choose whatever category you want. the category you choose there only affects the way your app shows up on App World and not the actual device. For the device, only the blackberry-tablet.xml matters. the choices you make in either places are exclusive to each other. so you can do core.all in the blackberry-tablet.xml and in the portal, you can choose something like Utitlity and then calculator and you will be fine. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Contributor

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that the 2 are seperate.

but do I use: <category>core.all</category>

or do I remove this line totally from the XML file? .... according to peter778 eariler post?

Developer

you can leave it out or include it, wont make a difference from wat i read. i like to add it though anyway to my blackberry-tablet.xml file. keeps a consistent structure Smiley Happy

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Contributor

on the vender portal do i submit only the .bar file or the whole folder with all the files?

Developer

in the vendor portal, they want you to submit just the one signed bar file. everything is already included in it when you package it.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Contributor

How do you get the signed file?

The steps in the documentation/video state to submit and after approved you sign the app?

Has this changed also? what are the steps to signing?