Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

becoming a vendor on the Playbook AppWorld?

How long does it typically take for someone to become a vendor on the Blackberry Playbook AppWorld?  I submitted my application, received an email saying they would get back to me regarding "the next step in your registration" and haven't heard anything since.

Thanks.

Jim

Developer
My Device: Z10 and Z30
My Carrier: Play and Plus

Re: becoming a vendor on the Playbook AppWorld?

There is no such thing as Blackberry Playbook AppWorld. There is BlackBerry App World. It usually takes about 7 days to get reply from RIM. Right now it may take longer because the Playbook competition is going on.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Tablet OS

[ Edited ]

When I registered for my account I received an email about a day later containing a document that had to be signed. You should have received the document already if you have been waiting long. After that I don't believe there is much wait.

Due to the Blackberry Playbook offer at the moment the actual testing of your app should take a while. The vendor registration is a different story.

EDIT: Also it is not much of a competition when there are numerous winners. It is not a contest of who has the best app but simply an offer that gaurentees you a Playbook as long as your application fulfills the offer guidelines.

From,
Noah NU
Developer
My Device: Z10 and Z30
My Carrier: Play and Plus

Right know it takes few days to get first email with that document. My friend registered few days ago and he is till waiting for that email.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Tablet OS

[ Edited ]

Oh, I guess it was just my luck then. Hopefully I get the same luck during the testing phase of my application.

From,
Noah NU
Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE
My Carrier: P4

Hi,
I have a PayPal account but I have not a credit card. How can I register without credit card?
All time online Smiley Very Happy
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

noahnu wrote:

Oh, I guess it was just my luck then. Hopefully I get the same luck during the testing phase of my application.

No - I too waited only one or two days. But the testing of my app took 4 weeks Smiley Happy

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

I got my initial email with that form, about a day or two after I registered. Unfortunately I was out of the country when that happened, so I couldn't get it signed and notarized until about a week later. I uploaded it and emailed it back to them, and they had my vendor status changed to Approved less than 24 hours later. Much faster than I expected. 

Now I just have to submit my app!

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/vendor/8218?lang=en
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE #00055
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

A tip for those of you who are individual developers who want to register.

Instead of registering as an individual and getting the notarized form, you may want to register as a business.  It is extremely quick and inexpensive in most cases to register a sole proprietor business as an individual (in Ontario, you can do it online at ServiceOntario for $60 and you instantly get your business number).  Not only does this save the trouble of notarizing, you also have a clean way to report your earnings and capture expenses for tax purposes if you start making money with your apps.

VENTURCON
For BB10: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, e-Mmanuel Audio Bible, PM Assist
For PlayBook: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, Business Analysis Toolbox
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Check your local and state fees associated with this.  Each county in the US has minimum tax for small businesses and annual fees that occur.  In addition, some states will have an additional state fee for each business type (LLC,S-Corp,etc).  And we cannot forget the Federal Government and their cut.  If you dont think you will have a revenue of about $2000/year to cover fees and additional tax prep cost, it may still be better to stay as an individual.  On top of all that you need to get a Federal Tax number (FEIN) and file with your county and state as a business which can take time in getting all the proper paper work and legal docs needed, notorized, submitted, filed and returned.  Then after all that, then you have to deal with double taxation that occurs.  Your business gets taxed on revenue and any "income" you take, will get taxed as ordinary income from your own business.

In other words, there is some great tax advantages for LLC et al, but you have to have a sustainable revenue to make it worth while.  Additionally, LLC et al protect your own assets against suit.