Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: blackberry-template.xml category choices

Scott, I replied in the new thread you created, noting that there are actually two XML files and you're probably putting that in the wrong one.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
My Device: Not Specified
My Carrier: Indie Developer

You possible forget to include blackberry-tablet.xml into list of package files (as I did for the first runs)

After execute packaging this way:

..\..\bin\blackberry-airpackager -package HelloWorld.bar -installApp -launchApp HelloWorld-app.xml HelloWorld.swf blackberry-tablet.xml HelloWorld.png -device 192.168.10.128 -password qqq

my swfs appeared in category   <category>core.games</category> all right Smiley Happy

Hope it helps somebody :-)

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: VZN

Thanks for the post.  I was messing around and started to use a swf file loading screen but encountered a load time problem when it came to using larger files.  Has anyone got the hang of this XML file and found a delay method?  I hope that wasn't a studied question.

Brandon Clark

www.berrymind.com

Brandon Clark
The Mind Company | www.themindspot.com

Developer

It doesn't seem a very "studied" question, but it also doesn't sound like a "stupid" question, if that's what you meant.

Is this question related to this thread though?  If it's not, you'd be best off starting a new one, as some people don't look into old threads that they consider dead (so you won't get as many responses as you would with a new one).

If you're talking about how to display a custom loading screen while your application builds itself, I asked about something similar in another thread... I'll try to find it.   It has nothing to do with either XML file though...

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

A delay method for what?

The loading screen is only images.  I guess you were trying to load a SWF for the BB loading screen? I could imagine the slowness of this because loading a SWF and loading the AIR application at the same time would be a little hard on the computing resources.  The loading screen should be very light weight and file size as small as possible (but not to give up quality).

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you Peter & John.  I believe my question is in the right place but I was very tired when I wrote that, it wasn't done very well. Let me reword my question and respond to your feed back.

Peter: 

Here is what I am trying to do.  

<qnx>
  <initialWindow>
    <systemChrome>none</systemChrome>
    <transparent>false</transparent>
  </initialWindow>
  <publisher>Mind Operations</publisher>
  <category>core.flash</category>
    <icon>
  	<image>MindThemeIcon128.png</image>
  </icon>
  <!-- <holdToLoad> I am trying to find a tag that does something like this. -->
  <splashscreen>views/INTRO-BETA.swf</splashscreen>
  <!-- </holdToLoad> -->
</qnx>

John:

I definitely agree that I should possibly drop the idea of using a swf, but,  I'm trying to make a truly interactive application and a short clip could make a big impression(3-4 sec).  I have had a simple one load but there was barley any images and the one I'm planning on doing wont be much larger but the load time will take a second longer than I have.

Brandon Clark

Developer

Brandon, I understand what you're trying to do now.  I don't think it really belongs here, since this simply isn't something supported by the blackberry-tablet.xml file (not, wrong name in subject of thread).

That said, you may be able to accomplish something like what you want, if you can structure your code and packaging properly.  The relevant thread, which I mentioned above, is Dynamic (lazy) loading of .as code.

In short, you still need the SWF that has your splash screen loaded with/as the regular app, but you can arrange to defer loading the entire app until that's started, if you do things right.  I haven't tried something quite like this yet but based on the answers in that thread it appears feasible.

Developer

You might want to add a feature request to BB's issue database to allow for SWF and "wait to complete" flag before showing the application.

The other choice you probably have now is to show a JPEG/PNG file for the splash screen, then show a SWF splash screen while your application loads.  And then remove the SWF after it has completed.

It would make the device more lively if the splash was more animated (with sound).

Regular Contributor

Great response, I appreciate the insight.  I will probly make a feature request along with doing as a action script file.  John, thats one reason I wanted to use a swf.  

Brandon Clark

Highlighted
Developer

What makes anything sell better?  Sex and sizzle.  Does not have to be good to make money, just has to look good.