Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Tour
My Carrier: Bell

debugtokenrequest error: illegal device ID xxxxxxxx

I now have my hands on a borrowed 64GB model while waiting for my freebie unit to arrive. And I have a problem with the procedure for setting up the debug token.

The first step went correctly. That is, registering with the .csj file they sent out earlier today.

But the second step, where you create the debug token that is to be uploaded to the actual tablet, produces an error:

debugtokenrequest error: illegal device ID xxxxxxxx

where xxxxxxxx is the PIN dutifully copied from the tablet's Settings/About/Hardware

I am unable to get past that, to create the token, to upload to the device, to run an unsigned version of my app. I can, however, install a signed bar file...the app installs and runs correctly when it is signed. Of course, that doesn't have the convenience and comfort of debugging with unsigned bar files.

BTW, the document

Create a debug token from the command line

has a bad link for "Retrieve the PIN of a BlackBerry tablet." The link in the document is http:// followed by a .xml file name.

Developer

Re: debugtokenrequest error: illegal device ID xxxxxxxx

Wow, this is the process from hell.

First of all, the instructions are a bit sparse on everything you need to know. Where it says substitute the tablet's PIN in the command line for deviceId, you need to prefix it with 0x as a hex string. I discovered that by typing just the command blackberry-debugtokenrequest --help

Also, it is a bit vague on path to the debug token. It wants to create a .bar file. Not your app's .bar file, but a new .bar file like dt.bar for example, so you need to specify .bar in the path name. The instructions don't really tell you that's what it is trying to do.

I did get a dt.bar file created, and did the next step to install it on the device. In the tablet's Settings/Security/Development Mode, it does now show up that the token has been installed, the author name shows, etc., so I am pretty sure it is a valid debug token, now actually on the device.

But when I try to send my unsigned app .bar file to the device, it still complains

result::failure 500 BarFileUnsignedError

I am using the same procedure that I used to upload a signed .bar file, but this time the .bar isn't signed. And it grumbles about the .bar not being signed, though I thought given the debug token installed, that was the whole point of not grumbling. The command I use to upload is

blackberry-airpackager -installApp <myapp.bar> -device <tablet ip address> -password <tablet password>

Really, there's an awful lot of commands involved to get this going. Parameters that are not quite fully documented, strange encounters along the way, copying and pasting manifest info from one command into another file, and on and on.

It's rather painful, I'm not sure what has gone wrong to get me where I am, but at this point I still cannot upload and run an unsigned .bar file.

Time for a break.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I may have missed this, as I skimmed your two posts, but why don't you just sign the .bar file and install it the usual way?  The debug token is apparently required only for unsigned apps.  I know it's not a final solution, but it may be more expedient.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Peter, I did mention installing the signed version in the first posting, though perhaps that didn't stand out in the verbage.

I have in fact successfully installed and run the signed .bar file.

But this process for the unsigned .bar is just...horrible.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

I don't understand why we can't just deploy to the device the same way we do on the sim....

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@jffurlan, it seems that for security purposes of some kind, the actual tablets will not run unsigned apps.  The "debug token" appears to be some sort of short-term certificate which allows that to be overridden in some limited way, for development purposes.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

I understand what they're doing with the token, I just thought putting the device in dev mode would have taken care of this though. I also thought it would be a much easier process than KenSalmon is describing though as I was hoping to do majority of testing on the device.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer

This is better. PlayBook is secure. It keeps developers out of ... oh wait, never mind.

On my Samsung Galaxy Tab (Android), I go into Settings/Applications/Development/USB debugging and it presents a confirmation dialog reminding me that I can copy files, install applications, and so on without further bother. And then in my Eclipse desktop environment, I "Run As..." and get a dialog that lets me choose between their simulator, and my physical device. It just works. It worked the first time I tried it.

But this? Really?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PlayBook

@KenSalmon did docs forget to mention some improtant details?

1) you need to package in -devMode to use debug token

2) you have to modify your blackberry-tablet.xml to add <authorId> and <author> from debug token

(which you find out by doing blackberry-airpackager -listManifest dt.bar)

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
My Carrier: Sprint

I had similar issues earlier (BarFileUnsignedError), and adding the author and authorId tags fixed it for me.

Andrew Cowart | Metova
www.metova.com