Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: sw

for play book development which one is best for dev and API support (Action script or NDK with C/C++)

Hi Every one Smiley Happy

I need one valueble infirmation from you my friends... I would like to develop one game on BB Playbook, can you please give a suggestion, I start dev in Action script (Flash player) or dev in NDK (based on C/C++) ? , which one is best for game devlopment and API support also... I have some confussion on.

Thanks in adv Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: for play book development which one is best for dev and API support (Action script or NDK with C/C++)

[ Edited ]

You are not in the right forum for either. Since you're making a game, I would suggest the NDK as it is better for games. But if you want some simplicity or your game doesn't require a lot of "horsepower" (as the only way to do UIs in the NDK right now is with OpenGL) then I would suggest Air.

Edit: Woops, I thought I was in the Java forum when I posted this.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: for play book development which one is best for dev and API support (Action script or NDK with C/C++)

If you have to ask this question I guess your a beginning developer. In that case ActionScript is much easier to learn than C/C++.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

If the game is simple 2D stuff with motion and sound f/x, then AIR would be easier and faster to develop. Then you might want to learn C++ if you need more performance from the game. At least all of your assets can be reused.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10
My Carrier: Platinumtel

If this is your first time making a game, definitely start with flash/AIR.  I have made games in C++ and AIR, and AIR handles a lot of things you don't think always about at the start, like playing sounds, saving simple information (like settings) to files, loading images, etc.  You can finish a game with either, though.  As for API support, I think they are relatively equal, although the NDK could get access to some of the currently hidden sensors sooner than AIR.  If you do choose C++, check out blackberry.github.com and try out cocos2d-x.  I'm using it right now, and it's quite good.  But it is a little bit more tricky to get up and running than the AIR side of things, in my opinion.

The key is to pick a very simple game to start with.  A shooter like space invaders or a scrolling shooter is a great way to start.  Search for tutorials on making games with flex.  Flex is basically flash, but just the code side and not the software to draw pictures with, and it's free.  

Once you've made something that you can move around with the mouse or keyboard and shoot bullets at other things that are moving around, and you make those things disappear when a bullet hits them, that would be a reasonable time to try making a somewhat more involved game.  

----------------
WIP game: Melodaeum
My graphically bland but very useful Morse Code trainer: Speed CW
My graphically attractive but boring game: The Rainstorm
Developer
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: sw

Thanks to every one for their valueble suggestions...

now i am very much clear on this..Thanks again Smiley Happy